How auto AC works,

My rental, a Toyota Yaris, has a simple heater/AC and sometimes, with the fan on 1, the lowest speed other than "stop", and the temp on coldest, it's too cold.

The solution seems to be to move the temp towards warm, but when I do that, am I not using gasoline to run the AC and then mixing warm air with the cold air, that I just paid to create? If saving money were my only consideration, shouldn't I keep the AC all the way on cold, but turn it on and off, like a furnace or AC unit at home works? (Yes, of course the car is much smaller than the house and so I'd alternate between being too hot and being too cold, but this is an academic question.)

What about my own car, that has an automatic setting which it says will keep the temp at whatever temp I set it to? 70, 68, 72, whatever. Does this work differently from the simple AC in the paragraph above? Doesn't it also mix warm air heated by engine coolant with cold air cooled by the AC, using extra gasoline?

Isn't the only way to save money to set the AC all the way to the coldest, and turn it off if it gets too cold?

BTW, when I was here 53 years ago, I dont' remember there ever being a hot day. I was on foot, carrying a rucksack**, hitchhiking or walking around town.

**A strange backpack with a metal frame but one unlike any other one I've seen before or since. The frame was not two parallel sides, but sort of a figure 8 (but not that narrow in the middle. I might still have it in the basement, but the cloth is probably no good anymore.
Reply to
micky

If you're that worried about spending money, perhaps you should stay home.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

How exactly it works probably varies depending on the model. I think when the compressor switch is on, most will chill the air first to some degree even when in heating mode, unless it's real cold outside. That's to remove humidity. That could be going on when it's 70F outside and you want it 65F inside. I would expect if it's 85F outside that there is no heating, just cooling and it's cycling the compressor as needed.

Reply to
trader_4

According to Gretta Thongturd and Alexandria Ocrazyo-Kotex, air conditioning causes climate change. You should turn it off.

Reply to
Ben Verified - ✅

So you don't think moving the temp knob (a knob in this case) guarantees that it's adding hot air??

On at least one car long ago, when I read shop manuals in detail. (And the manual for Pontiac or Buick actually explained things, as I described in an earlier post) all the temp control did was move the blend door, a physical door, from cold air to hot air and places in between.

But you think it could also cycle the compressor on and off, and some microprocessor would decide which it should do, or some combination thereof**. That's certainly the way it could be, should be.

**I don't think I ever used "thereof" before.
Reply to
micky

I don't know about the newer cars but the AC works by turning the compressor off anad on. There is a magnetic clutch that lets the compressor spin or not spin. It just runs longer if you want it colder. Most of the refrigerators and other cooling devices work the same way. Some of the newer items that have scroll compressors may work differently.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

IIRC, on mine the temp control varies the compressor duty cycle.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That would be good. That would be just fine.

Now I remember what I'm supposed to look for in the owners manaul. 690 pages... maybe tomorrow.

Reply to
micky

You can change the setting, then watch the A/C compressor clutch cycle on/off at different rates, I bet.

Reply to
Bob F

Yes it does. Howcver it also turns th AC compressor off and on. Some of the newer cars don't even have a clutch on the AC compressor - it runs all the time but modulates the pressure. MOST cars run the AC any time the defroster is turned on.

Even on my daughter's 2012 Elantra it doesn't have a clutch.

On most cars today the AC has a very minor effect on fuel mileage on the highway.

I just added a set of (11 inch) wheels to my old 1970 something external frame backpack so I can drag it or push it OR put it on my back. At 72 it's nice to have options when trecking around - whether in cities, airports, on the trail, or whatever. Plan on putting some miles on it this summer in Africa. spending a month "on the road" - that's mostly "off-road"if you know Adrica - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Depends if you have "air conditioning" or "Climate Control". Climate control is automatic - but still uses a blend door

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not likely - what do you drive? The cycling is to control head pressure ( 2 shutoff switches - one high limit and one low limit on most systems)- and if a ctutch driven compreeor AC unit cycles regularly it is often low on refrigerant. On my Ranger it ONLY cycles when it is low - but it has a modulating orifice - which behaves much like a temperature controlled thermostatic expansion valve (common for the last 20-some years - at least) 30 or more years ago thermostatic cycling WAS a thing.

Reply to
Clare Snyder