AC Freon Leak ?

I just had AC service done last week and the technician said that there were no freon in the system at all. As far as I know frean doesn't just disapper and since it worked fine last summer there must be a leak. So he added 8lb and the system works fine but I noticed some kind of white sludge on a plastic cover of my basement window next to the copper freon pipe. Here is a pictures of what it looks like:

that the place of my possible leak?

Jack

Reply to
JackpipE

A 'sniffer' detector should be able to pick up the leak quite easily. Best done on a day with no wind. Call your servicing company and ask them to do the leak check for you. IMO, they should have done it during the system recharge. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

JackpipE wrote in news:9bf42cd7-45a7-4dfa-9dde- snipped-for-privacy@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Out of curiosity:

8lb at ? per lb? If unknown, what was total bill?

What's your approx location?

Was it R22 or 410A?

Reply to
Red Green

He added 8 lbs. of freon and never looked for the leak???? I think I would either raise hell or get another person to service the unit.

Reply to
Ken

Your right the only way it woud be empty is if there is a leak.

Reply to
Sac Dave

Freon will evaporate almost as soon as it hits the air. It will not leave anything behind. The unit will have oil in it and you may find some oil around where it leaks out.

If he added 8 pounds, the system must be empty or almost empty. He should have checked for leaks to find out where the freon leaked out. If really empty, he should have put a vacuum pump on it and sucked all the air and any moistuer out of the system before it was refilled.

YOu are right, the system is a closed system and the freon should stay in it unless there is a leak. Anytime freon is added, it means a leak somewhere as it does not get used up.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I paid $236.45 for 4.5lbs R22

Austin TX

Reply to
jthread

"jthread" wrote in news:fYVbk.192363$SV4.155483 @bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Just for the R22 itself? Not including service call, check this & that? Appreciate the response but question it because I find it odd they would charge an oddball abmont of $52.54/lb.

Reply to
Red Green

Hi, Sales tax?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No problem:

This is the way the bill reads

Diagnostic Analysis: $65.00

4.5lbs R22 1st lb 75.42 each lb after that 46.03: $236.45 Total: $301.45

Desc. of work: Found unit low on R22 ref charged unit w/4.5 lbs. Checked for leak outside and found no leak. Leak most likely in evap coil.

Recommendation: Get ready to replace system.

Bill finished.

The tech told me it wasn't worth spending a lot of time on it as it's just money down the drain. He said R22 has gone through the roof and I should have the system replaced when the pressure drops again. He quoted me anywhere around 5k to 10k for a new system. So far I have about 1/2 of the money saved up for a new system. The one I have now is an Amana 042. He said it was a cheap system.

I figured the repair and the quote was too expensive and I wouldn't use that particular company to replace unit. I wasn't too impressed with Christian Bros. despite the good reviews they have from other customers.

Reply to
jthread

Was that for a service call plus the r22 ?

I have not priced the r22 in many years. Think I gave about $ 70 for a 20 or 30 lb container of it. Must have been about 10 years ago.

What is the current price for r22 in a container ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

"jthread" wrote in news:h2Xbk.192616$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Well, we often feel repairs & quotes are too expensive in many arenas..

but...

WTF? Like they pay more for the 1st lb when they buy it?! All adds get hit with the first lb premium. 75*30=$2,250. Can you imagine? They can get up to that much out of a 30lb can. I'd say they are a ripoff.

Reply to
Red Green

It shouldn't cost but about 3-4k for a new coil and outdoor unit installed.

S. Barker

They probably want to install a new air handler and furnace, as well, and maybe even replace some ductwork.

Reply to
CJT

How old is the unit? Ever cleaned or inspected evaporator coil? If it's old, it is good idea to replace it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Couple weeks ago, I was quoted $198 for 30 pounds at my parts house.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like a good way to calculate the mark up.

Thing is, that HVAC companies have a lot of expenses that don't get itemized in the bill. Gasoline, insurance, wages, etc. It's not like you walk into the store and ask the butcher for a pound of R-22 and slice it thin. We come to you, in a gasoline drinking van full of heavy tools.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd think the guy shoulda put a vacuum pump out, and remove the air. And then ought have checked for leaks. To lose the entire charge over the winter, there's gotta be a leak.

Also, eight pounds? Must be a big system. Most central AC near me use five to six pounds.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Professionals" on house calls measure differently.

Reply to
HeyBub