AC Freon Leak ?

i had a similar problem , my sight glass was leaking on 15 YEAR OLD SYSTEM. 5 companies were willing to add freon, suggested a new system ,and were unwilling to repair the leak. i fixed it myself by removing the sightglass and connected line without it.i vacumed it and filled with r22 ...been working for 7 years. most companies now are ripoff artists thanks to freon regulation.. lucas

ds549

What surprised me is that they found your system empty and they didn't replace the liq. line drier. If you find a system that low on refrigerant you would change the drier and put the system in vacuum then charge the system plus making sure there is a low pressure switch in the system so it will shut down if you run low again.

Reply to
Moe Jones

I paid $375 for 8lb and the service. The guy told me that he can't look for the leak yet as he just put the freon in and he can come back next week to look for it. After reading some of your comments, I guess I'll call the company and ask them to come and look for the leak at no charge since they didn't do it the first time.

Reply to
JackpipE

Thanks, that sounds more like what I thought the cost should be. About 15 years ago I had a house that would loose enough r22 on a central air system to freeze up once a year. After two years I bought a 30 lb container for about what a service call was, somewhere around $ 70. I put some in and checked the connections (screw together for the lines) and did not have to add any more after that. Still had almost all of the container. Bought another house and the 20+year old heatpump went out. Put in a new Train unit. Had a choice of the r22 or the newer refrigerant system. Decided to stay with the r22 as I have it in my head that had been around for many years and it runs at less pressure so maybe it would last longer.

I just did not think the r22 had gone up like the r12. Years ago it was about a dollar a pound can and later after the band it was about $ 18. Not sure what it is now or if they even sell it. Think I still have about 6 cans I bought for $ 9 each, but nothing to put it in now.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

He should have been able to look for the leak as soon as he added the freon. There are several kinds of detectors. One is like a propane torch with a rubber hose on it that you move the hose around and if it picks up freon, the flame will change colors. Very old way, been around for over 75 years. There is an ultrasonic probe that will pick up the sound of the leak. Also is an electronic probe that will indicate a leak sort of like the old torch detector but uses an electronic element instead of a flame. All of the detectors will operate just as soon as the freon is added and the unit is started.

I don't think I would pay for another service call just for finding a leak as it should have been done the first time.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

What. The system or the coil?

Reply to
jthread

On mine the tech checked the outside coils and fittings but said the evap coil is a waste of time considering the system is so old. If there is an inside leak the system should be replaced. I'm not defending it. That's what he told me. Personally I feel a bit taken advantage of but I still don't know.

Reply to
jthread

I hope you're not being serious. I found one place that will send 30lbs R22 to my house for $198. I'm new to this type of A/C being from the SW but I learn quickly. I'll be damned If I'll ever pay that kind of mark up again. That company is going to have to explain what the hell is going on. The tech told me the prices are going through the roof for R22. Sounds like he exaggerated to me.

I'm getting my grill heated up right now.

Reply to
jthread

Hi, Whole system with better SEER but if it's not that old, coil may be dirty or leak may be from there. Today's techs don't like jobs taking too much time like looking/checking for leak. If it loses freon again, you can pressure test it and then find where the leak is if test fails. I have bro.-in-law who is in the business(BIG commercial contractor) when I need dhelp he sends out a tech we can trust.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You have to remember what time of the day it is and what work load he has. I know from experience that when you craw into an attic in the heat of the day it can kill a technician also if he has allot of other customers he had to worry about having the time to get to them. I have also temporary fixed systems and came back at a better time to completely finish the job. I tell you that the labor is about the same it has been for a number of years but not the parts. To give you an example a couple of years ago you could find R-22 at the wholesale price of $40 and today you are looking at around $200. So now you have to figure the cost of replacement and figure in the loss plus what profit you need to stay in business.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Again. According to the EPA it doesn't require a 1000% markup on R22. It's a scare tactic used to screw homemoaners.

jthread

Sure is. BTW, good for who?

Reply to
Chris

No charge?

What a laugh.

The guy will likely need to spend hours to check for ALL of the leaks (Don't assume there is only one leak) and then there is the repairs and replacements. Your Free service could and should cost you a grand or more after he is finished.

Reply to
Duff2

A serious leak like that should be detectable within a minute or so of adding freon. I'm with you, this is a follow up, what the guy shoulda done the first time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The old "little cans" of R-12 sometimes can still be found. I have a couple in my refrigerator. Reminds me, I've got a call to work on some R-12 equipment at a restaurant, here's my chance to get rid of them. Nothing is made with R-12 any more.

I'd offer to buy them from you except that we're probably too far away.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon