Replacing Freon in AC

No, it isn't normal. It has a leak. If a leak search wasn't suggested by the tech, then call someone else out to run one, obviously the guy that juiced it simply didn't want to do a leak search, and would probably not do it right even if you called back and insisted.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

Hi Home Repair Gurus..

Is it normal for an brand new AC unit (installed in a newly built home) to require replacing about half the freeon (say about 2 pounds worth) after about 6 years..

My AC recently stopped blowing cool air (even though the fan is on), even after replacing the filter, and the AC tech said that there was some freezing that had occurred due to a lack of freeon, and that it had to be replaced..

Thanks

Reply to
user

Thanks..

Well, he did suggest that it might be a leak, but he first suggested that we should wait for it to blow cool air, and then if it doesn't, then call him out again for a leak search..

Is there any way to tell that the leak is coming from the machinery in the attic above, or from the actual unit outside, (where the fan is)

Thanks

RP wrote:

Reply to
user

They have ways of detecting leaks and there are different ways of doing it. For what it is worth, my house has 2 A/Cs (upstairs and downstairs). They both developed leaks in the evaportator coils after about 10 years. I noticed the problem when the evaporators started iceing up. The A/C guys found the problem almost instantly so I guess it is a common thing. It cost about $1200 for each coil replacement. Ouch.

Reply to
User Example

Yes, the tech should use a leak detector.

Anything mechanical will wear out and break. Leaks happen from seals drying out, mechanical loosening from vibration, joints getting bumped into, etc. While it can take some time to find the leak, he should have at least made a quick check of the obvious easy to reach places as a start.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It is much cheaper to just have the freon 'topped off' every 6 years. Forget the leak until it requires rejuicing every year.

Sherman.

Reply to
Me

It sounds like you had a techie out, and he added some freon. No, it's not normal to lose a couple pounds in six years.

If the leak is slow, the system might work for a couple more years. On the other hand, it might be an easy to repair leak.

In addition, after a couple years, your system likely needs cleaning, which is essential. Dust clogged coils don't work very well. May be costing you electricity wasted, and system not running very well.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"seals drying out"? "mechanical loosening from vibration"?

Not in residential split systems. They are hermetically sealed and have brazed linesets.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Not every brazed joint is a perfect joint.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not even wrong. All split systems have line taps or service valves (Except for the extremely rare exception). Most split systems also have compression or flare fittings as well. If you don't know HVAC then let the HVAC professionals here do the answering, because you apparently don't have a clue about HVAC. You could do more harm than good by posting wildly incorrect information.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

This is Turtle.

if half the freon was missing from the system in 6 years of operation. well you have a leak that let it out over that 6 years and you need to have the leak found and repaired. If you go for just refilling it and let it go. well you just became what is called a cash cow in the HVAC business for you will always want the serviuce man back to refill it every years or two.

Also if you think you should change your freon in your system every so often, well it is recommended to change the freon out in your hvac system every 164 years.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

And not a day longer.

BTW, it's possible that the refrigerant leaked out over a 2 day period, we don't know now do we?

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

This is Turtle.

i have a Son in law that was working for Dupont at the time and he and I was talking to one of there chemical engineers at a social gathering and he was telling the R-22 did show some signs of some break down on or about 164 years. They have ways of projecting time of freon break down and r-22 does break down a little at 164 years. He did say that if it would be the case. You should change out the R-22 every 164 years in any equipment that you may have.

So we should recommend changing the Freon 22 out every 164 years !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Look PoppyCock if you say i was wrong with the slow freon leak theory , well where is your theory of how it got out and PoppyCock is not a theory ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to