freon

Has anyone tried using the freon that you buy for a car AC system in a home centralized AC system? Are there any reliable discussions about this topic on the web. I see some, but don't know who to believe.

Reply to
Deodiaus

The short answer is no R134 is not compatible with R22 or R401(the newer stuff)

How old is the system?

Reply to
gfretwell

Freon is a trade name for a particular brand (DuPont) of refrigerant. Without more information as that what you want to achieve, no one can give the proper answer. Surely, just because it is termed "oil" there are some that would not be good in your salad dressing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oh, certainly there's bound to have been somebody who has and it may even have functioned (sorta') for a while.

The proper answer is almost assuredly you can't do what you're asking as the automotive and home central-air systems do not use compatible refrigerants.

As for what's on the web, who knows? There's undoubtedly something out there that is ok, but I've no clue where it might be.

For starters, though, you need to know what is in the target system and then see what are current compatible replacements for that particular one or whether it is still available, perhaps (afaik, there's no problem in servicing existing systems w/ the original even yet other than perhaps availability).

Reply to
dpb

I have a YORK EVV 89876 I am guessing it is about 15 years old or so. I have see youtube vids about refilling. I see some people selling R22 on EBay, but only for "certified buyers". I have read a site about using butane. He makes the case that many of use have 5 gallons of gas in our garage which is a lot more dangerous than some butane in the AC system.

Reply to
Deodiaus

I have read that hydrogen sulfide was used 100 years ago. It stinks like rotten eggs and will knock you out if inhaled in large quantities but supposedly is great and a good lubricant. I have heard that the new ones are dangerous in that they have known to cause heart problems!

Reply to
Deodiaus

Freon is a brand name, like Sunoco, or Sue Bee Honey. The fact that it's been improperly used for decades doesn't change that fact.

That said, refrigerant 134a has a whole different pressure, temperature relationship. And different heat carrying capacity. If it works at all, in a R-22 system, it won't work well.

Of course, I do need to note, that's a federal crime to do so, under EPA section 608.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you put (flammable) butane in a system designed for non flammable HCFC, you risk explosion from sparks from the compressor motor.

Your system might not be low on charge, in any case. Hard to tell, unless a qualified tech checks it out.

.

I have a YORK EVV 89876 I am guessing it is about 15 years old or so. I have see youtube vids about refilling. I see some people selling R22 on EBay, but only for "certified buyers". I have read a site about using butane. He makes the case that many of use have 5 gallons of gas in our garage which is a lot more dangerous than some butane in the AC system.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Pre-Freon days ammonia and sulfur dioxide were used as refrigerants. Freons were fairly safe to breath but some caused heart problems when tested on dogs and the newer substitutes are less safe but no where near as toxic as in the pre-Freon days. Toxicity no where approaches that of ammonia or sulfur dioxide.

Concerns with the Freon substitutes were toxicity and effect on refrigerator parts and seals. Latter problem similar to adding alcohol to gasoline's effect on engine components.

Reply to
Frank

How do I find a good and reasonably priced HVAC guy? 3 years ago, a recommended guy ended up upselling me on getting my system cleaned, and turned a $130 repair into a $500 job. Moreover, he did not fix my leak, nor inject a dye to detect leaks the next time. One year Prior to that, at another home, I had the guy out three times trying to fix a problem.

Reply to
Deodiaus

Should there be a pool of water under the inside unit. It seems as if it draining off, but the other units do not have water around the indoor unit which houses the blower fan and filter.

Reply to
Deodiaus

Not true - if the system is full of butane there is no air and the butane cannot explode.

Reply to
clare

Depends. The indoor (evaporator) coil does remove humidity. On a typical day it will have water forming on it, more on humid days, less to none on dry days. The pan should have a drain to take it away. Drain may be partially clogged (very common) or it was a poor installation and collects water before it runs off. I can't see it from here to determine which.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What about ammonia?

Reply to
Deodiaus

But the Toyota NEVER used R22. It used R12 - and 134A is the replacement for R12. It is close enough to work well in MOST R12 systems.

Reply to
clare

R134 is a replacement for R12, different thing

Reply to
gfretwell

No.

The "pool" of water under the evaporating unit is the "emergency overflow" pan. Water there means your regular drain is clogged.

The clog is almost always a mass of algae. It can be blown out with a good puff of wind (or compressed air or a water hose or etc.). Once draining again properly, add a cup of bleach to the evaporator system (where the internal puddle is) to kill off the remaining algae.

Reply to
HeyBub

Either you're a troll or a complete idiot.

Reply to
trader4

To find a good A/C technician the simplest thing you can do is to make sure he is licensed by both the state and the EPA. Call him/her first and get all his information to check on him before you make an appointment with him. I am constantly surprised as to how few people do this very simple thing. You can also try finding a very small company that is a sole proprietor where the person holding the license is the same person coming to do the work instead of him sending a fast talking moron. You can also talk to your neighbors and friends and ask them for a recommendation. Instead of trying to find a reasonably priced technician try finding one that personally guarantees his/her work; it will be cheaper in the long run. True: if the system is full of butane there is no air and the butane cannot explode. Then all you have to worry about is air getting into the system and turning it into a pipe bomb.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Slim chance since the pressure inside the system will always be above atmospheric untill it is almost empty. You will have a torch outside the pipe more likely than a bomb inside.

Reply to
clare