Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

Withdrawal symptoms having moved 200 miles from where I spent much of my life. When you are working you meet many people to share your achievements and failures with. When you are retired you do something and then feel slightly irked that there is no-one to pat you on the back, make sarcastic comments or tell you how much better you could have done it....

Reply to
Sad Sid

Call that a response? I was looking for something much more specific. Good grief, if you can't do retirement better than that, I'm afraid you're going to have to get back to work at once.

Any good?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Lawton

[Mild, off-topic rant]

The American way to cut through the confusion is to regard everything in this region as UK, except that quite a lot of them (unlike some English people) know that the Republic of Ireland is a separate state!

Pity the people living in the Isle of Man (where I lived once) or in the States of Guernsey or the States of Jersey. They never get a mention in those drop-down lists, even though each one of them has a top-level country domain on the Internet.

Pity, also, the sizeable part of NI's population (and not only Republicans) that does, of course, live in the UK but hates to have to say so. The same goes for many Scots and Welsh and, indeed, an increasing number of English residents.

What, with our partly-devolved (dis)United Kingdom, our Countries, Provinces and Principalities, our Dependent Territories, etc., with a multitude of flags (for land and sea) to go with them, Britain rules the world in constitutional confusion. Many Britons seem to be trying to take the No.1 International Language down the same route, as well.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bushell

Must admit to seeing UKP used far more often than GBP myself....

Not something I can get that excited over though!

Reply to
John Rumm

Of course, I side with you against the previous poster's condescending remark, but...

...if they did, your paragraph would have disappeared, and...

especially those that cant even

...classing simple typing errors as spelling mistakes is a bit over the top, especially as you dropped an apostrophe in "can't".

I'm the novice gardener in our house (I found this post in uk.consultants) and I am genuinely in awe of my partner's knowledge of plants and "green fingers". Let's just hope that gardening doesn't become the "new plumbing", with thousands of disillusioned unemployed taking a six week course and foisting themselves, unprepared, upon the public!

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bushell

In message , Peter Bushell

Easy test to spot the fakes - real plant people don't use the common names. Latin names all the time, unless you ask them what they are talking about. My girlfriend is garden designer, I have no idea what she is talking about half the time - bit like her comments about me and comfusers (thats "computer" to you)..

Reply to
Stephen Kellett

"Sad Sid" wrote | I've just finished digging 900ft of ditch, laying drainage pipes, an | alkathene water pipe with five stand points, and installing an armoured | garden ring-main with IP65 sockets.

You must live in an awfully rough area, to have to have an armoured garden.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

".............. Let's just hope that gardening doesn't become the "new plumbing", with thousands of disillusioned unemployed taking a six week course and foisting themselves, unprepared, upon the public........."

I don't know, with the prices they charge........ just think a 2 hour gardening job and a bill for a couple of hundred pounds sterling, I was quoted one hundred and twenty pounds just to have a 12 ft length of pipe joined into my gas pipe(From bulk tank, so supply was turned off to work) and to have a tap at the end of it.. The pipe was in an awkward position and with osteoarthritus in both knees I thought I would have it done. Did the job myself with pipe I already have and just had to buy connection and tap, total cost under a tenner and the job took less than 15 mins. There is no way I would work for 10 hours to pay someone that rate for 15 mins work.

Reply to
David Hill

"........real plant people don't use the common names. Latin names all the time, unless you ask them what they are talking about. ....."

It's called baffling them with "Bull Shit"

Reply to
David Hill

True - a little bullshit goes a long way :-)

Reply to
BAC

In message , David Hill writes

:-) From what I can tell its a sensibly designed naming system. I hope that was a joke considering the name of your business.

David Hill Abacus nurseries

Stephen Kellett

How about standardising on the..................>>>>>> Euro??????

(ducks and runs for cover) :-) Eric

Reply to
Eric Dockum

And a lot of bullshit goes a heck of a lot further.

One thing I've recognised over my adult years is that those who tell tall stories generally seem to get away with it, to the detriment of others who are as honest as the day is long. Turd polishers are usually to be found doing okay for themselves.

Tony Blair knows all about this of course.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

"................From what I can tell its a sensibly designed naming system. I hope that was a joke considering the name of your business.........."

Well a Dahlia is a Dahlia, just a few thousand different varieties world wide.

You have to use some common sense, Thyme not Thymus, Jasmine not Jasminum, Chrysanthemum has kept its name if you are referring to spray, bloom or pot types. Also you would be more likely to talk about carnations, or garden pinks or rockery pinks rather than just Dianthus, You just have to use common sense. Often the botanic name is used to avoid confusion, such as with Campanula isophylia alba instead of "Star of Bethlehem" which could also be Ornithogalum umbellatum or Angraeceum sesquipedale or a lot of native wild flowers. And so on and so forth...

Reply to
David Hill

Quite.

And I bet there are plenty more in the pipeline.

We sleep extremely soundly and don't have a telly ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Spouse used to control the metal for the making of the machinery to grind jute ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Now there's a subject for a whole new thread.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks for all your advice.

My location is rural. What difference may this make planning permission?

Reply to
William.R.Reisen

It wasn't me it was a neighbour. He was (and in part still is) running a kitchen fitting business from his home. The council got wind of the fact he was basically using one room for an office and his garage for a workshop and found this out because they were a bit upset that large lorries kept delivery goods in a residential area (that was how they started anyway i.e. the trigger on the radar). I guess someone complained.

Anyway in the end they made him move out of his garage BUT he managed to keep his "home office" because it also had a domestic use (well thats what he argued). It did take him a bit of stress and a while to convince them though, they were mumbling about business rates and that our development is a residential development, hence no designed for "business" traffic (whatever the fupp that means).

The irony is he still has stuff delivered to home in big lorries (less often admittedly), but then moves it from his garage (store) to his (at the moment) free rent workspace from the council!

Its also ironic that there are at least 8 or 9 people who work from their homes and I know 3 of them run businesses out of their homes.

Reply to
Will Trash-Spam

The government is to provide provision for people to work from home in the new 4 million homes to be built. So, penalising people who do work from home seems rather silly.

Reply to
IMM