Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

[8 lines snipped]

That'll be why your internet connection works, will it?

Reply to
Huge

A Google search for "second hand portakabin" yields many interesting looking hits

Reply to
Huge

Exactly. Doesn't use the ISO seven-layer model, but something invented long before by practitioners, not ISO...I had that in mind when I said it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

But someone must have invented it for some reason.

It makes no sense to go round inventing currency codes when there are already perfectly good standard ones - write an invented private one of your own on a bank document, for example, and it won't work. I guess people do rather less of this in everyday life now that cash cards have replaced Eurocheques, so not everybody carries the leaflet with the codes in their wallet any more, but the things are still in common enough usage that one can be expected to know the code for one's own currency!

So, despite the existence of "GBP" which has unambiguous meaning worldwide on any documents written in any language, someone goes and invents "UKP", which on the day they invented it meant nothing to anybody other than themselves. Why??

-- Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear Brett Ward Ltd -

Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board -
Cambridge City Councillor

Reply to
Tim Ward

snip

UKPE-BAYOBIRI: a language of Nigeria SIL code: UKP

Jim Lawton

Because the ISO are looking to charge for use of such codes, and it's not worth the risking the licensing costs?

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Ley

"..........Some servers will strip the Some servers will strip the characters and replace them with blanks, some sill simply drop that particular post on the floor.

Since you're a gardener, the best response is probably "there, there, don't you worry it's a bit technical."

Pity they don't strip sarcastic characters, especially those that cant even spell but rely totally on spell checker........."some sill simply" Must be nice to be so intelligent.

And for your information to be a modern "Gardener " you have to be a builder, a plumber, a gas fitter, a chemist, a botanist, an entomologist and be willing to work up to 15 hours a day in season and 7 days a week.

Reply to
David Hill

"...... I am thinking about getting a garden office......"

I do hope you look into the requirements regarding planning permission with your local council

Reply to
David Hill

Er, David, be careful.

You omitted an apostrophe in "can't". Also, if referring to living people you'd have been better saying, "those who" rather than "those that".

Anyone can make a typo.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's a misquote, I didn't type "Some servers will strip the" twice. My typo is noted.

"can't" and that IMO is a rather more serious error than a typo. I don't use a spell checker, your clairvoyance appears to be on the wane.

But you don't have to be particularly good at any of those trades. Nor particularly informed before going off on a rant, it seems. Oh well, off you go Dirty Fingered Sid, back to pricking out behind the potting shed.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yeah. Right. Buy better drugs.

Reply to
Huge

Hi

As has been mentioned planning permision would more than likely be required, I'd be wary though, if you stride into the planning office asking for permission to build an office in the back garden then the answer will probably be no. A garden room, studio or the like would probably be better recieved.

With this in mind, lorry containers would probably require some window dressing to make then acceptable. The prefab timber buildings are pretty good these days as are the Border Oak type timber framed buildings, I guess it's down to asthetics and your budget at the end of the day.

If you want some more info on highly insulated timber panel structures you could try contacting a guy called John Hayden, I worked with him a few years ago and he's branched out into constructing small garden rooms, he only works in the old Avon county area, so is probably not in your area. He might be able to offer some advice though. his mail is -

haydengardenrooms - you know what goes here - btopenworld.com

You could also try posting in alt.architecture but I warn you things can lean towards the insane in there at times :-)

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Denning

Erm, you have seen

and the original announcements, the ISO are considering licence fees for ISO 4217.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Ley

Hi

As has been mentioned planning permission would more than likely be required, I'd be wary though, if you stride into the planning office asking for permission to build an office in the back garden then the answer will probably be no. A garden room, studio or the like would probably be better received. Try talking to a planning officer about their policy in this area in general without giving away any details.

Also what is your location, rural or urban?

With the planning issues in mind, lorry containers would probably require some window dressing to make then acceptable. The prefab timber buildings are pretty good these days as are the Border Oak type timber framed buildings, I guess it's down to aesthetics and your budget at the end of the day.

If you want some more info on highly insulated timber panel structures you could try contacting a guy called John Hayden, I worked with him a few years ago and he's branched out into constructing small garden rooms, he only works in the old Avon county area, so is probably not in your area. He might be able to offer some advice though. his mail is -

haydengardenrooms - you know what goes here - btopenworld.com

You could also try posting in alt.architecture but I warn you things can lean towards the insane in there at times :-)

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Denning

Don't have to wait - I ama a pensioner. I have little spare time because I love to do projects for my nighbours - without fee of course!

If I were to be paid I would probably ask for payment in UKP - not a standard I invented but one, which, in the days when I worked for a living (long before the days of ISO standards), was the standard used when communicating with the USA (who were more used to USD)

I'm neither sad nor thick - I used to write programs in a range of crude and difficult languages like Fortran and Cobol in the days when computers had green screens....

Reply to
Sad Sid

x2 bugger :-(

still you can laugh at my non spellchecked one now

Reply to
Tim Denning

You might be remembering "UKL" which is what the banks used before "GBP".

-- Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear Brett Ward Ltd -

Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board -
Cambridge City Councillor

Reply to
Tim Ward

Ben Blaney

What about your own projects which have been hanging fire for years - to say nothing of the new ones you've just thought about?

I wouldn't have dreamed of suggesting that!

I remember them well. We still have one in fact ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher