Suggested Lighting for Garden Office

I am having a timber framed building constructed at the bottom of my garden, which is to be used as a studio for my freelance graphic design work. As the cabin will be quite large ( 12m x 4m ), I may also give some of the area over, to be used as a workshop. The roof will be peaked, with a gable at each end and from the inside, the roof space will be left open/ vaulted, so that the slopes and joists will be seen. The studs and the roof panels will be insulated and dry-lined on the interior and probably painted white. It's worth noting that I would be using computers in the space and therefore need to try and alleviate glare as much as possible.

My question is: I would be interested in any advice, tips and suggestions as to what type of lighting I could install into the space. I will be doing the electrics myself for both the lighting and the wall sockets and would also be keen to learn about what type of Consumer Unit I can install, seeing as the power which comes from the house to the cabin is from a spur... this electrical supply already exists to my other "sheds" and I would be looking to take that from those, and into the new unit.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

dean.

Reply to
Dean Heighington

Fluorescent lighting with Daylight Tubes is good in situations where colour definition is needed. The fitting can be covered with clear diffusers for decorative needs.

The power supply is better reinforced if you're thinking of running computers and imagining equipment in the new studio. This is better done by someone who knows what they are doing and how to calculate what loads will be running at the end of the supply. The last thing you want is for the power to trip off when you're in middle of a clients sampling and you lose the lot and have to start again.

But if you think you are up to the job, then a look through these pages:

help you along with it.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for this. I'll take a look at the above link. I was planning on doing the circuit work myself, for the lodge/studio, but not sure if I can work out about getting a suitable supply fed up there, from the house, so yes... I may need to consult a professional on that score. With the actual lighting in the studio... I thought about fluorescents, and about secreting them within the tops of the walls, so that the light is projected upwards along the internal slopes of the roof... as well as practical lighting, I also want it to be quite sophisticated and to be able to set mood lighting to the space... i.e. not always constant glare, if you get my drift.

cheers

dean.

Reply to
Dean Heighington

Then take a wonder around the shops to get an idea of what's out there. The old BHS (british home stores) used to have the best lighting department I've ever seen, so it might be worth while having a look in the big department stores as well.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
BigWallop