can you recommend a durable garden hose spray head?

I am a keen gardener and use a garden hose with a spray gun head quite a lot. I also use it for car washing etc. I need one with a number of different spray patterns for the various jobs it needs to do.

These things are readily available in diy sheds and garden centres but I have yet to find one that lasts more than about 18 months before falling apart, usually due to the failure of some plastic part of the trigger mechanism. I have yet to see one that is all metal.

My most recent one was grey and yellow with a metal body but it has just failed so I need to replace it. Can anybody recommend one that they have used for a while and found to be durable ?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I had more or less the same question a while back. I think the opinion was just buy a cheap one from Wilkinson's or similar. Expensive ones like Hozelock are just as fragile. Also, my latest broken hozelock, didn't even have any 'unscrewable' parts: it was just made to break and throw away. A nice, all metal, fully dismantleable unit would be very nice, if anyone knows of one...

spamlet

Some of the bigger garden centres do have decent metal guns. I have one

- all metal (including a brass hose union), except for the multi-spray ring at the front which is plastic. I'm going more and more with brass fittings too - they are pretty indestructible. Expensive, but you usually only need a few.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I got quite a nice one from Aldi a few years back, metal and rubber construction. Problem is that it keeps flying off the hose.

Reply to
David

I did have a brass 2 way splitter on the outdoor tap: water in one of the ball valves froze and sheered off one outlet from it this winter: there being very little actual metal between the base of the internal thread and the outside... Also, I have found that brass couplers don't always grip very well in the near universal hozelock type sockets/spigots. So metal isn't the whole solution, but at least it generally disassembles, and doesn't disintegrate at the touch of a spanner or pliers!

spamlet

I got quite a nice one from Aldi a few years back, metal and rubber construction. Problem is that it keeps flying off the hose.

Yes, that's what my metal sockets do from male plastic hozelock style attachments.

spamlet

No, it corrodes and splits when frozen, instead ;-)

DAMHIKT

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have a look at the 'Payless' range in Focus. This is a range of low priced goods of many kinds including garden stuff, lighting etc. I bought one of their spray guns recently and it looks fairly well made. I used it a few days ago to clean paving slabs and although it doesn't compare with my pressure washer it worked quite well.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Go for brass. I got fed up replacing that plastic stuff every year

Reply to
stuart noble

Toolstation have a range of brass hose pipe fittings that seem cheap enough.

Re: damage I think even the metal ones will fail after a couple of years. I have to admit I have been guilty of dropping/throwing/ dragging the pistol type hose sprayers around on concrete and in that case I can understand why they have a short life. I have gone back to the original hozelock variety which you hand tighten to shut off/ adjust the spray. At least when you drop to the ground it doesn't have any sticking out bits to get knocked when dropped or dragged along the floor when you wind up the hose.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

Toolstation have a range of brass hose pipe fittings that seem cheap enough.

Re: damage I think even the metal ones will fail after a couple of years. I have to admit I have been guilty of dropping/throwing/ dragging the pistol type hose sprayers around on concrete and in that case I can understand why they have a short life. I have gone back to the original hozelock variety which you hand tighten to shut off/ adjust the spray. At least when you drop to the ground it doesn't have any sticking out bits to get knocked when dropped or dragged along the floor when you wind up the hose.

Dave

I can vouch for the brass spray ends - they even stand up to the pigs chewing them, which is more than can be said for the hose !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'm on my third; the first was all-plastic, and the handle broke. The second was metal, but I dropped it and the handle pivot point sheared off. The current one's all-metal too, but the part where the handle attaches is much less weedy. Too early to say how long it'll last me :-)

Fortunately pretty much everything hose-related this side of the Pond uses screw threads. I remember days of being in the UK and everything using those darn plastic push-fit connectors that'd damage hoses, fly off, leak, or just jam up with accumulated dirt :-(

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson