What Lawn Mower Do You Recommend?

My name is Derrick, and I am thinking of starting up a yard care service in the Minneapolis, MN suburbs. I need advice on purchasing a mower for average sized suburban yards. I assume I need a ride-on mower if I expect to mow a large volume of lawns, but I don't know what I should get. Is a tractor better then a rear-engine mower??? Also, Toro has zero turn radius mowers. Please help me.

What brands/models would you recommend for a weed whacker, & blower.

P.P.S. What is a general good price to charge if I cut, bag, weed whack, and clean up sidewalk clippings for an average lawn?

I know I should just ask the competition, but I figure alot of people don't shop around for lawn mowing companies, and I might be able to charge more for person who lives in a richer area. How much do you think a person would be willing to spend?

Reply to
Derrick

If your really serious about it not just "going to try it" then either Ferris, Swisher, Toro or Cub Cadet for a good Zero turn rider. (unless the areas are real hilly then your going to want a tractor) For the large lawns. For smaller lawns or gated areas you will want a good push mower as well. Makes no sense getting a big machine off the trailer for a little strip of grass.

Ferris-

Cadet-
trimmers and blowers I say Stihl for both, simply because they are hard to beat for reliability and versatility.

is dependant on two things for me size of yard and amount of work done. I don't care if they are rich or poor they get the same service for the same price.

Oh and to throw in another item, if your going to do lawns what do you plan to do when there is snow on the ground? I also do snow removal and sand/salting in winter, again price depends on area and service rendered. That is where planning in advance helps you out, Your going to need a truck and trailer to haul the lawn gear anyway, might as well set it up as a plow / tow truck from the start. Buy a good tractor and blower with cab, a good walk behind for sidewalk and narrow areas. Plows are great in open areas that have room to push snow out of the way but a blower wins hands down in most cases.

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.

[lots of questions omitted...]

You should ask these questions at

Lots of pros hang out there, and I think you'll learn a lot.

Reply to
Chris Craig