Anyone know JD Lawn Tractors?

Hi,figured I better check-in here with My quest..I have spoken for an estimated 25yo JD lawn tractor,,12 1/2horse,,mower deck and single stage snow blower attachment,,recent engine re-build,,whatever "recent" is and a new seat..The price is $200,,,sound about right? My Bro-in-Law is using it this Winter then come spring it's Mine..I ca'nt really justify a new rig for this lawn alone and the small lot accross the street..I blew-up the Murray rider,,got it for $75 tho and used 2 seasons.. Does Anyone know the original cost(estimated)of the above JD? Also I'm thinking I'd like to trade the snowblower for a plow attachment,,how likely is that?heh heh.. Thanks Dean

Reply to
dane

John Deere?

Reply to
Rapid

Sounds OK to me. I have a 30 yo JD 110 and am not familiar with your 12 1/2 hp but my 8hp handles the single stage blower very well. I would say any JD that is running should bring $200 as long as it isn't smoking real bad. A plow and a blower are two distinctly different animals. Plow is nice for cleaning off a couple inches or a little slush but the blower should handle

8 or 10". The plow leaves behind a snowbank that is hard to move a few days later. The blower leaves no obstructions. I have a Wheelhorse plow that is like new and haven't been able to get $100 for it. I'm guessing you could get a JD plow for $50 but it is sometimes hard to match this equipment up.
Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Yes,,John Deere,,I've since spoken with My Bro-in-Law,,it is model

111,,rebuily engine n carb 5-6 years ago.. Dean
Reply to
Dean

I want to try a plow next Winter just to see..Everyone agrees with You almost verbatum so I'll probably hold on to the blower too and maybe get a plow too and try them both out..I've never used either. Thanks.. Dean

Reply to
Dean

I have a 10ish year old JD GT262 with the snow thrower (they use the word thrower for this instead of blower) here in NJ. I would not want a plow. The thrower works really well. It tosses it up and away from the driveway, carves through the pileup from the plow at the road, and maybe most importantly does not bend up the frame of the little tractor. Plows are known for doing that if you try to work them too hard, and too hard can be less snow than one thinks. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

"Thrower" ok..Bend up My frame? I think You just talked Me out of the plow idea,,I've got a while to decide..Are there any good points to putting a plow on a lawn tractor? Dean

Reply to
Dean

You're not going to bend up your frame unless you lpow crazy like ramming into a snowbank at high speed. I've spread gravel over a driveway with mine and spread large piles of compost over a garden several times. I've even pushed logs around when I am cutting firewood. Just don't ram things with it.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Ok,,Now I'm back to wanting both again!! LOL...If nuthin else You All know I'm paying attention!! As for being worth $600 - $700 new and .25 now(S Barker I think) I guess I'll just trust My Bro-in-Law as I think He set the price not My Sis..I do'nt usually trust when buying used stuff but Family is Family so $200 is'nt going too far out the door if it's a bummer deal..So far on the first 2 used riders I've spent about $50 per year for the machines and parts I've bought for them,,total..At that rate if I get 4 years from the JD I'll be happy enuff,,more years will just be gravy,,that's all mowing only..The craftsman was $50,,the Murray was $75,,then one battery that's still good and 2 belts,,hmmm that's only about $160 - $170,,I guess gas and oil changes are partly included in a $200 figure for 4 years plus I've gotten maintenance experience I did'nt have before..So far I'm on track with the original plan of saving and learning.. Dean

Reply to
Dean

Oops S Barker replied on a different group..So much for paying attention!

Reply to
Dean

Which group? (I don't see any crossposts in this thread) I bought a JD 190C last year, strictly for mowing, but this subject has gotten me thinking I may be able to use it for more. We don't have snow here (MS Coast) but I do have dirt I need to spread/push/level over newly filled stump holes. And maybe a few other light "pushing" jobs. I haven't seen the push blades at Lowe's though, and the JD dealer here doesn't stock the lawn tractor sort of stuff. I wonder, would any rental stores rent the blade attachment? (I'd like to try it before I buy it).

Rick

Reply to
PhantMan

Yours is a JD? What size/model? The only blade listed for mine ((190C) on the JD website is 46" wide and looks a little flimsy in the picture. Maybe the "frame" mentioned above refered to the attachment's frame?... and not the tractor's?

Looks like you raise/lower the blade from the driver's seat? What about blade angle? TIA Rick

Reply to
PhantMan

crossposts in this thread)

Other group was Googles' alt.home.repair,,My mistake,,is'nt the first but if it's the last that means I just died..NP.. I used the 12 horse craftsman to move a canoe trailer converted from a pop-up camper with 3 or 4 canoes on it no prob..I used the 10 horse Murray rider to drag RR ties accross gravel and grass,,double wrapped with log chain that dug in a bit,,once the ties were moving the Murray got em there and lined-up for stacking,,hooked low on the rider(ball hitch)and the front end never left the ground even tho it's a rear engine..Even a Rider can make projects easier if Ya do'nt expect too much at one time..So far I've bought used ones tho and was'nt risking much when I worked em for other purposes..I have'nt damaged any drives yet but sure played hell on two old engines. Heck,,I once tried to pull a loaded concrete front offloader truck from 3' of sand,,I was on hardpack gravel wheel-hopping like crazy in My 86 High Sierra 4x4 4cyl !! Never budged it but it was a hoot tryin!! that same little truck pulled a dead Ford grain truck with a dead tractor chained to the back up a slight grade on pavement in a light rain!! Dean

Reply to
Dean

oh! got it.... actually, that's a Usenet Group like this one (Google just likes to claim 'em lol!) Thanks, I'll watch that thread too.

Rick

Reply to
PhantMan

Hey - you're my kind of operator. I use old (1970) Sears Suburbans (garden tractors) and 1950's Farmall Cubs and Massey Harris Ponies. I'll re-emphasize your tip - "if Ya do'nt expect too much at one time."

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I have a JD 110, 8 hp - but I was refering to my Wheelhorse C-81, 8 hp that I leave a blade on. I just use a snowblower and a moxer deck on the JD.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

On Jan 26, 9:28 am, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

quoted text -- Show quoted text -

"Hey - you're my kind of operator" Damn straight I am!! I see no sense in buying a new rider/tractor till I have a good understanding of the older ones to work with..I plan to do all maintenance and adjustments Myself till I'm too damn old to get it done,,,why trust/pay some stranger if I can do it? Other than the 0-radius mowers the main change I can see(in riders)since the 50s would be hydrostatic transmissions,,the only one I have any experience with was My brothers' before He gave it to His old friend that then had probs with the trans.. I like that idea of multiple riders/tractors with different attachments,,maybe one with a blade,,one with a thrower and one with a mow deck,,I can store em outside if I really want to,,rules here are pretty lax so far with easy-goin neighbors..Just need to find decent older equip for low price..Maintainance should only swamp a guy if all have probs at one time,,otherwise usage is spread between them so mainteance should be too with the possible exception of checking for condensed moisture(oils/gas)and bolts that rust due to non-removal of thrower/blade etc... There is a RR tie retaining wall I can use that is perfect for driving small stuff right into My truck,,if it was any easier I'd be on the floor cryin for joy..LOL,,if I'm gonna do 1/2 of the above I better expand My tools and think about a shelter for the implements!! My Family has a growing canoe/camping get together every summer,,I live near that river so might go and hook the JD to one of the trailers there and give the kids and adults rides thru the campground and/or along the river roads..Just climb in and stay sitting on that life preserver,,,Uncle Dean might get crazy!! Naaaa,,2n gear 1/2 throttle or so should be safe,,,My Family's tough Americans anyway!!LOL. Dean

Reply to
Dean

Maybe it's "flimsy" so it is damaged instead fo the tractor if Ya get rammy..You know,,plowing after a bottle of Jack or a bunch of beers used for personal "antifreeze"! NOT recommended..*grin* If You buy one without angle adjustment maybe an extension could be added to one side to push it out a bit more..The way it sounds tho Yer not supposed to try plowing that much snow with a small tractor so maybe no angle is normally needed..I'm kinda new to all this so just guessing.. Dean

Reply to
Dean

"Srgnt Billko" wrote: -snippage-

That's what she said! :)

Reply to
Steveo

If I ever come back in another life that's what I want .... I chuckle to think back when I met a guy in apprentice school who was short & only weighed about 120#'s but had a nickname of "horse" LOL

Reply to
Srgnt Billko