Fitting a gas hob

I've got a basic Zanussi gas hob that I've got to fit in a beech worktop. It comes with grey strips of what looks like a sort of mastic. The instructions seem to indicate that the hob should sit on these strips.

Is this right? Seems to me the sharp edges of the hob will just slice through it, and the the edges will look messy.

Reply to
RJH

On the hobs I've fitted, the mastic strip sits on a horizontal flat on the inside of the downwards pointing flange. As the mastic is thicker than the flange it squashes until the flange seats on the work surface, ensuring that the gap is full of mastic. Excess squigges out and gets trimmed with a knife.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Ah - thanks!

Reply to
RJH

My hob came with some foam stuff that I forgot to fit. Oh dear. The idea is that the hob should be removable for maintenance but who ever does that? s o it should not be siliconed down but you need to seal against leaks someho w. I still haven't got round to putting a touch of silicone around the edge . Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson