Re: £65 to install a gas hob - good or bad?

The Corgi guy is a mate of a mate - still seems quite a lot?

> > Also when I put a new kitchen in it will probably (as dictated by > sod's law) need to be moved again..... > > I've been told I can't use flexi hose. >
£ 65 to cut the worktop, seal the edges, fix the hob, connect the gas and test? cheap

Just connect the gas, still not bad IMHO

Reply to
Vass

On 26 Feb 2007 11:53:15 -0800, "405 TD Estate" mused:

At least an hour to cut the worktop, fit the hob etc, then there's the time getting there etc...

Reply to
Lurch

Comet want £80 + VAT to connect a gas cooker - which means screwing on a pipe & inserting the bayonet fitting.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well it actually means spending a fair amount of time and a shedload of money to do your ACS, then more money to get CORGI registered before you even turn up on the customer's doorstep. Then you assess the ventilation wrt the room size, check clearances from flammable stuff, fit a hose to the cooker (if free-standing), check/correct condition, position and orientation of bayonet and support of gas pipework, purge and tightness test it, check pressure at cooker and that it's OK when the boiler (and any other appliances) fire up, check flame pictures, operation of safety devices, door seals OK, fit a stability chain or bracket, level up the cooker if necessary, explain operation of safety interlocks or anything like that to the customer and then notify the installation under Building Regs.

Or if you get the Medway Handyman to do it: screw on a pipe and insert the bayonet fitting ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

When you run your own business, you realise how little of that £65 you actually get, once various costs are taken into account (transport, advertising, phones, insurance, accreditation, training, tools, etc.). That's not a bad price to have someone come to your house, do something that will often turn out to be a bigger job than they expect, and give you many years of trouble-free service.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

Ah, but TMH wouldn't do it because it's naughty!

But I expect many on this list have done their own...............

Or their daughters...............

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

April 2005 I think. Someone in this thread said you don't have to notify replacements: I don't know if that's true, certainly not for boilers.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Just testing you! ;-)

Reply to