installing a gas hob

We have got a really old phillips gas hob with an electric mains supply spark ignition that has failed. To try to get at it, it looks like i'm going to have to lift the whole shebang out.

If its all got to come out, i may as well fit a new one since its really old and battered.

I see john lewis do a zanussi stainless steel hob for £89 but it always seems out of stock. The next cheapest one they do is another zanussi hob at £139, so i guess i'll go for that?

Presumably if the copper pipe connection is in the same location at the back, installing a new hob is simply a question of reconnecting the copper pipe and the electrics for the spark; would you say?

Reply to
john royce

Is this your £89 one. They appear to have 14 in stock.

Keith W

Keith it is, thanks. I searched for it a couple of days ago and couldn't find it... I must be loosing my mind!

Reply to
john royce

No, there's no guarantee the gas connection will be in exactly the same position. In fact, I'd be surprised if it was. It may be reasonably close, but almost certainly not close enough. You ( or another 'competent person' ) will almost certainly need to make minor adjustments to the piping.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

You need to check the instructions, to ensure it can be fitted exactly where the old one was (clearance of overhead cupboards, room size and ventilation, etc).

Also, the worktop cutout may not be the same (and you may need to move it because of overhead cupboards).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We had a gas leak in our cupboard below our gas hob. The only way I could get good access to isolate the leak was to removed the hob. Turned out that the "professional" fitter had only done the threaded elbow connector to the hob finger tight.

Don'tcha just love professionals?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

I trust you reported it to Gas Safe or CORGI, and that it got passed on to the HSE as a RIDDOR.

Reply to
YAPH