fitting gas hob

Hi, I'm sick of trying to cook with the wok on an electric hob so want to fit a gas one, the wall the hob is on is an external wall wich is

800mm from the next door boundary, questions are

can I situate a gas bottle withing the 800mm of next door

can I fit it myself, as it will only be piping staight through the cavity and connecting to a regualtor on the bottle (I'm thinking of using the smaller blue ones for portability - should last a while just on a hob?)

any pointers --Thanks :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

Good choice.

Get a propane (red) one, with at least 13kg cylinders. One of those lasts us at least 6 months - I wouldn't want to go smaller. Others go bigger - eg the

47kg ones, but the 13kg ones are at least easy to transport (ours get carried to/from the gas place on a bike trailer :-) )

(Butane is a pain in the cold - that's why you don't want small blue bottles)

Get an automatic changeover regulator - you hook two bottles up to it, and when one is empty it goes red so you know to change it, but lets the gas in from the other one so it carries on working. You may think you'll put up with changing the bottles manually, but half-way through supper is not a good time to start hurrying around with new bottles.

I'd have the bottles in some kind of ventilated enclosure - you don't really want them and the regulator being rained or sunned on.

Remember to change the jets on the hob to the correct ones.

I'd treat it the same as mains gas plumbing, ie you can do it if you're competent. Since if you're lucky you won't actually need any joints - the smaller diameter pipe required for a hob alone is bendy - it's quite easy. Don't forget to sleeve it when it goes through the wall.

One extra warning about bottled gas : Propane is heavier than air, so can pool. If you've got a leak and a cellar, things could get very distributed if it goes wrong. Hence make sure if it's going to leak, it won't go somewhere like that (this is one thing the sleeve is for).

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Clive George formulated the question :

Assuming a system with a pressure regulator - both propane and butane use the same jetting, the difference is compensated for in the regulators for each gas.

I agree on the butane only being of use in warm weather, the gas freezes at close to 0 deg C and the pressure will disappear.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But not between natural gas and LPG... I would say that most hobs come fitted with NG jets with LPG supplied seperately or as an option. I believe there is also a tweak to be made as well as changing the jets, the installation manual should detail that though.

No butane freezes (ie liquid to solid) at -138C but boils (liquid to vapour) at 0.5C. So if the liquid is below or only just above 0.5C it ain't going to boil fast enough to produce enough gas to burn.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I made the assumption that the hob would be a portable unit designed for bottled gas.

Agreed, I used the wrong terms.

In fact butane can fail to boil at much higher temperatures than 0.5C. If large quantities of gas are drawn from a bottle at less than 10C, the rate of evaporation can chill the bottle to the point where no gas is produced.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'd call that a "camping stove" not a hob being built into a kitchen. B-)

Aye, see the amount of frost that can form around propane bottles when a lot of gas is being drawn off, say to heat a tar boiler. Handy way to see how much gas is left... I've also seen bulk oxygen evaporators feeding a hospital very heavyly iced up in the middle of summer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Should have read the OP :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Nice one, thanks for the help :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

IME, it runs out while cooking Christmas lunch.

:o)

Reply to
Huge

About as cold as the wife/girlfriend's shoulder when you come home late or have not fitted that door/shelf/gas cooker on time :-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But somewhere in between the 2 is a caravan hob, which might suit the OP perfectly (though the rings are often a bit close together)

Space heaters as well. Wrap the bottle in clingfilm and peel off the ice to put in your drink!

Reply to
Chris Hodges