Gas hob over dischwasher??

In my new kitchen design, unusually, the Gas hob is to be sited abov

the dishwasher. I would get a corgi registered person to fit it, an all the regulations I can see regarding distances to flamable surface etc are all fine, but I cnat see any regulations to confirm whether it OK to have the hob in the worksurface with a dishwasher situate underneath it...

I know you can have an in buit oven under it, and just a plain cupboar under it, but what about a dishwasher..???

any Corgi people or anyone else out there who have an opinion..?

guess my concern would be that it would wobble when the dishwasher wa in use...

thank

-- timdog

Reply to
timdog

My parents have a fridge under their hob. Very useful when frying eggs ! The underside of the hob actually doesn't really get hot at all. But the fridge is not the best, as built-in fridges tend to be poor. Any under-hob unit should be fixed to the floor adequately with some clearance, so that it doesn't shake the unit. Dishwashers don't shake that much, but I probably wouldn't put a washing machine there.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

No probs as long as you remember it's not an oven and try and roast a chicken in it.

Reply to
owdman

Could poach a salmon nicely though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I see no reason why this will fall foul of the reg.... unless....

The manufacturers of either the hob and the dishwasher explicitly state that a dishwasher/hob is not to be fitted under/over their appliance.

The gas supply is going to be have a problem caused by the dishwasher so that it can't be routed in a manner compliant with the relevant standards.

The latter is a _possible_ problem mainly if there is no room for the gas pipe under the work top and above the d/w.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks - I guess I'm inventing problems, maybe i should write t

regulations... what confuses me a little is that the regs, I think, sa that the hob should be fitted with solid pipe rather than flexible pip

- but surely if there is ANY movement at all between the worksurfac and the wall that the pipe is secured to, then wouldn'd the sligh movement make it MORE dangerous to have a fixed pipe? I cant see how i is safer to have a solid soldered joint, when even if there is a washin machine further along the worksurface, then if there is small constan vibrations of the worksurface, doesnt this pose a risk that th soldered joint in the fixed pipe could fail..??

I dont get why a flexible pipe wouldnt be safer.

-- timdog

Reply to
timdog

Flexible hoses are a lot more vulnerable than rigid copper pipe. The worktop is of course solidly fixed to the base units or support-battons which are in turn well fixed to the house.

Copper pipe is quite capable of flexing small amounts certainly any amount that normal vibrations of the worktop might call for.

As I say in the FAQ there used to be a loop hole to allow suppling hobs with hoses (there were a lot of reasons why you still couldn't). In 2004 the practice was explicitly ruled out in the regs.

In this month's "Gas Installer" magazine there is a picture of someone who thought they could use their hob balanced on top of its packaging and the oven packaging.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

-- timdog

Reply to
timdog

1 cm of lateral movement (not to/from the back wall) would not be desirable but could be accomodated. This movement is not likely to be every day more like a seasonal (dry in winter, relatively damp in summer thing?).
Reply to
Ed Sirett