Gas hob connection

Gas hobs have a male 1/2 inc BSP threaded connection on the supply pipe. Can I screw this into a standard female 1/2 inch BSP to 15mm compression fitting. I then want to fit a 15mm to 10mm reducing fitting to connect to the 10mm copper tube supplying propane???

TVMIA

Reply to
CS

I'm not going to answer that on the grounds that it *sounds* as if you don't know enough about gas fitting to do this job safely, especially with LPG. Forgive me if I'm wrong but generally that sort of question does not go with a good understanding of LPG fitting and testing.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Agreed, LPG is a magnitude more hazardous than NG. It's one thing to point out something from a secret (oops sorry) normative document it's another when there is an apparent lack of knowledge of basic plumbing fittings.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Why is that, out of interest?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Heavier than air for one, so leaks will tend to pool rather than disperse, the pool grows until it finds an ignition source.

Reply to
Andy Burns

LPG is heavier than air and will find it's way to lowest points, often enclosed and then build up to concentration levels that rather too easily go *BANG*. NG is lighter than air thus floats up and away. Most enclosed areas at the top of buildings are ventilated, basements and cellers frequently aren't at least not very well down at floor level.

Propane 1.882 kg/m^3 @ NTP Butane 2.5 kg/m^3 @ STP NG 0.7 - 0.9 kg/m^3 @ STP

NTP = 20C @ 1.01325 bar STP = 0C @ 1.01325 bar

Dave Liquorice

Several reasons: It's denser than air and can collect in low lying places. The lower explosive limit is at a smaller concentration. The energy is greater for a given volume. The gas can attack certain types of seals, sealnts and fittings.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Marvellous - why bother replying if you have nothing useful to say!!! It is 20 years since I last fitted a gas hob and cannot recall what the connection is. All sorted.

Reply to
CS

May you rest in peace.

David