LPG Supply for Hob

We need to fit an LPG supply for the gas hob on a new range cooker.

Essentially we'd like to drill through the kitchen wall to the outside, and then run pipe to a quiet corner of the garden where the bottle will be hidden away, probably in a cage/shelter of some kind made for the purpose.

What type of fittings / pipe would we need at each stage, i.e.

1) Cooker to wall (its dual fuel with an electric oven and gas hob

2) Through the wall to the outside world (plaster->breezeblock->stome).

3) From the outside wall to the LPG bottle.

The corner we have in mind is a run of about 10m / 12m away

Reply to
Sean Inglis

Good plot. Get a two bottle automatic changeover thingy though.

We've got 13kg cylinders supplying the hob - last ages. I certainly wouldn't be looking at 47kg ones - we can move the smaller ones ourselves.

Well ours is all in 10mm or an imperial equivalent copper. Runs in a plastic pipe through the wall, terminated with the compressions fittings at the cooker and the cutoff valve. It's flexible, so installed in one run. Dunno if you'll need fatter pipe for the longer run though.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Agreed. We have bottled gas and when the original regulator died I got an auto-switchover one.

We have 47kg ones. They run a 5 ring hob, every night, for well over a year.

I replaced our hob a couple of years ago, also, and there was a cast iron threaded adaptor that fitted to the hob, with a compression joint onto

15mm copper.

Drill hole through wall. Insert sleeving. Insert pipe into sleeving.

15mm copper, soldered joints. You can make a gas tight soldered joint?

Needless to say, this bit is wrong in our installation, it being the only bit I didn't do....

Reply to
Huge

I'm not challenging you but am interested to know why you want to use LPG. Is it because you don't have mains gas? If there's a better reason I might consider it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Lack of mains supply is the usual reason.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, I know, that's why I asked if there were another!

Mary You will have mail

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, no mains gas. Or mains water or drainage for that matter. We have a borehole in the garden and a septic tank, electricity and oil fired central heating. I considered something with an induction hob but we occasionally get power cuts and my wife prefers a gas hob anyway. Apparently you can cook stuff in top of our woodburning stove as well, but I haven't tried that yet.

Reply to
seani

Thanks for that.

You can cook atop the woodburning stove, we have friends (a family) who live in a 16' diameter yurt and do just that. They have no mains anything.

I considered a woodburning stove for cooking but it would need to be lit at all times and would make the kitchen too hot so we compromised by using gas hobs and a woodburning stone built bread oven.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hopefully the drainage field is a decent distance from the borehole...

:o)

Reply to
Huge

My uncle had a place in Canada with a septic tank and a water from a well. He said that 35 feet of soil would remove all "impurities" and seemingly the building inspector agreed with him.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Well(!), I was joking, but ...

My parents lived in a house in Pennsylvania with a septic tank and water from a well. The two were probably about 30-50 feet apart, or so. The well water was contaminated with faecal coliforms.

Reply to
Huge

Was he the lodger?

Good grief. How did they travel that distance?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Blimey, is the grammar thread migrating?

I have no idea. All I know is that the water had to be tested for potability when they moved in and having had that done, and found that it wasn't, they had to spend a small fortune on a treatment plant.

Reply to
Huge