Oil versus LPG for Heating and Cooking

I wonder if anyone here has converted from oil to LPG for heating and cooking in the home and has made running cost comparisons?

I should imagine that location makes a difference, I am considering east Norfolk (Broads area).

Also group purchasing would have an effect; at present oil is bought by a community group but there isn't much interest in LPG in the village.

Thoughts and comments on a comparison of the two fuels would be appreciated.

Mike

--

Reply to
mailveil13-usenet

compare prices, its not difficult. I'm sure you'll find oil cheaper

Reply to
NT

Agree with that, also with LPG you don't own tne storeage tank the gas company do and I believe that different gas suppliers will only fill their tanks.

RHPP (Renewable Heat Premium Payment) exists and is, IIRC, =A31200 for GSHP.

The RHI FiT like payment for domestic installations is still under consultation and no decision(s) have been made, decisions like when it will start or what the rates will be. Last time I looked at the DECC or the Energy Savings Trust sites a week or so ago, it's getting munged up into the "Green Deal" and *might* start around Spring 2013, rates unknown. It was orginally supposed to Autumn 2012 and the orginal proposal had illustrative rates which are still still out there if you dig.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You cook with oil? I can only think this is an Aga, and the conversion costs may be prohibitive.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Could be a Rayburn or a Stanley. And yes, converting can be very expensive.

Reply to
S Viemeister

It is an Aga that we have thought about. The house is a bungalow in need of a good bit of updating that we are seriously considering buying. Everything else is spot on but the village has no gas and that is what we have always had before.

Many thanks for your ideas; they help to balance the decision process and for me that property is still a good opportunity in a super location that I think is waiting for us to enjoy - just have to sell ours first:

and brochure
with a workshop! Mike

Reply to
mailveil13-usenet

Do both !! Oil for CH and DHW, and a bottle of gas for the cooker. Electric oven and gas hob - a big bottle of gas (~=A360) lasts us over

18 months.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

That's what we eventually did - dual fuel cooker, and oil combi mounted outside the utility room. We already had the oil tank, so avoided that expense. For the cooker, we have two gas bottles, with an automatic switchover. The old range is still sitting there looking picturesque - we hope to eventually replace it with a small woodstove.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I'd update that to "Oil for CH, DHW, and Aga (as the OP has an Aga), and a = bottle of gas for the summer cooker hob". Our last house had a coal fired = Rayburn, but in the summer we switched to butane for cooking.

If you are planning to replace the boiler anyway, you might want to conside= r wood-pellet units.

Reply to
Martin Bonner