That's not 61mm

"Nik Wallenda braved wind and heavy spray to make the 1,800ft (550m) walk from the US to Canada on a two-inch (61mm) wire."

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well its one way to avoid the Customs post..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

2 ft = 61 cm 10 inches per foot - that's the metric system (or should I say SI?).
Reply to
Gib Bogle

You should work for the BBC:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

They still asked him for his passport when he got to the other side.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And spot the mistake on this one

TMH could spot it. Broadcast to millions of people and no-one spotted it. Nor did the BBC correct it when I emailed them.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Bloody hell. That was quick. I emailed the beeb and the site now says 51mm.

It did say 61mm earlier

ARWadsworth

And

"Mr Wallenda will not be wearing a harness":-)

Oh dear. It's all wrong.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Come on harry. It was a very good joke.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes. And probably the funniest thing on the programme.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And an explanation of the mistake. ;-)

Reply to
Gib Bogle

It's all right, we believe you :-)

newssniffer has archived the original, and picked up other edits but not yet the 61mm to 51mm edit

Andy Burns

When metric arrived, the BBC used the metric foot in TV studios for scenery etc. 300mm. All that did is make sure nothing ever quite fitted again. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thay talked about that on one of the programmes, and the number of e-mails they'd had about it. Laughed at it and carried on.

Reply to
Onetap

That wasn't just the BBC - it was the whole building industry. Itcame to the fore when White City was built (actually design and build by Balfour Beatty) and all the office furniture came from north America; it was all just too big!

Reply to
charles

And if he hadn't had it with him, would they have sent him back across the wire?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Probbaly not. These were Canadians, after all. Not North Americans.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If the Canadian Immigration guy thinks you're working without a permit, he will send you straight back. I speak from experience. I did notice that they have an Immigration Code for Exotic Dancers, who do not need a work permit, just like Railroad Workers. But they probably ask you to prove it, if you claim to be one.

Reply to
Davey

not

was updated at 08.35 this morning.

But it's only the beeb so who cares:-)? Use the "contact us" link at the bottom right of the page and you could get the first article fixed to say

51mm. Now I am wondering is this cable 51mm or 61mm and it is the inches that are wrong.
Reply to
ARWadsworth

One that does not bear close analysis. But was still fun.

Reply to
ARWadsworth