What plastic sheeting is..

The stuff used in greenhouses without eaves. ie the stuff is bent around a radius with plastic joiners to the edge of normal glass top and bottom. The old tatty instructions calls it plexiglass. Not any idea where you can get it and of course it needs to be cut to size. The current stuff is cracking on the bends after many years service, I suspect heat and cold and sun have made it go brittle.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Plexiglass is another name for Perspex

Presume it's pretty thin if it was supplied flat and bent in-situ? rather than heated and bent off-site and supplied that way.

Likely to be local suppliers dotted round everywhere, but here is an online supplier chosen more or less at random

price calculator reckons about £20 for a strip 2mm thick and 8 feet by 18 inches.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No. Perspex is a trade name belonging to ICI. "Plexiglass" is, I think, another trade name from across the Atlantic.

Your comment is like saying Electrolux or Dyson is another name for Hoover

Reply to
charles

acrylic aka perspex. Wickes sell 2mm

NT

Reply to
NT

OK, Perspex and Plexiglass are both trade names for Polymethyl Methacrylate, happy now?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well its not perspex, as its far bendier than that. It also from the description I was given, looks blue at the edges, not white and smells different when cut. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ah, I see, I did try a bit of similar thicknees perspex some years ago and it just broke, not enough flexability. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Presumably one has to be careful to get UV stabilised stuff though, as I once had a polycarbonate box which I put some electronics in for out of doors use and it basically fell to bits in about two years, Went crumbly. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Replaced mine from this company.

Corporal Jones

Top posted for Brian

Go get some Makrolon at the right thickness you require. Indestructible and bendy too

Nthkentman

Our new carport roof is polycarbonate - I sincerely hope it lasts more than two years! It's very flexible and tough.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I've had corrugated polycarb sheeting up for 14 years and it's still fine.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Music to my ears.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

It's withstood all the weather can throw at it - prevailing very wet stormy westerlies at times, with the odd battering of hail. Only one slight thing I found - if a fastening comes loose, attend to it immediately; the flexing in the wind will eventually snap a bit off.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Makrolon is a trade name for solid, not twinwall, polycarbonate sheet.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby