What is This Cabinet Finish?

Hi,

I don't get what this is. Looks like a fine film that came off a bathroom cabinet in a couple small places and was overhanging an edge. It curled up as I removed it from the edge. If someone knows what this is and how to repair the small spots I'd be appreciative.

Photos here:

James Harvey

It's paper with printing made to look like real wood. Not at all unusual. Probably cheap pressed board underneath. No repair. Try to strop off all the old stuff and replace it. Available at all home improvement stores.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

James Harvey wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.earthlink.net:

Some kind of cheap cardboard.

Reply to
ktos

It's paint. Probably oil paint.

Reply to
dadiOH

s is. Looks like a fine film that came off a bathroom > cabinet in a couple= small places and was overhanging an edge. It curled up > as I removed it f= rom the edge. If someone knows what this is and how to > repair the small s= pots I'd be appreciative. > > Photos here: > >

> It's paper with printing made to look like real wood.= Not at all unusual. Probably cheap pressed board underneath. No repair. Tr= y to strop off all the old stuff and replace it. Available at all home impr= ovement stores. Paul

Seems awfully brittle for paper. Flakes easily. The cabinet itself is onl= y a few months old.

Reply to
zookini33

The photo looks like there is real wood under a really bad, peeling and cracking paint job. Is the peeling stuff brittle? If so, it looks like enamel that was applied without a primer and then perhaps got some moisture intrusion to cause it to peel.

Reply to
Norminn

Harvey wrote: >> Hi, >> >> I don't get what this is. Looks like a fine film= that came off a >> bathroom >> cabinet in a couple small places and was ov= erhanging an edge. It >> curled up >> as I removed it from the edge. If som= eone knows what this is and how to >> repair the small spots I'd be appreci= ative. >> >> Photos here: >> >>

>> > It's paper with printing made to look like real wood. Not at all =

op off all the old stuff and replace it. Available at all home > improvemen= t stores. > > Paul The photo looks like there is real wood under a really b= ad, peeling and cracking paint job. Is the peeling stuff brittle? If so, it= looks like enamel that was applied without a primer and then perhaps got s= ome moisture intrusion to cause it to peel.

I suppose thst's possible The finish material is very thin and brittle.

Reply to
zookini33

snipped-for-privacy@news.west.earthlink.net: > Hi, > > I don't get what this is. Looks l= ike a fine film that came off a > bathroom cabinet in a couple small places= and was overhanging an edge. > It curled up as I removed it from the edge.= If someone knows what > this is and how to repair the small spots I'd be a= ppreciative. > > Photos here: > >

> > Some kind of cheap cardboard.

Nothing surprises me anymore :/

Reply to
zookini33

Looks like a lacquer paint applied to a poorly prepped surface. You can try to repaint, but probably best to remove all of it first.

Reply to
Vic Smith

The picture isn't particularly great owing to what is the background but I think the other poster's more than likely correct.

What would help make sure would be better closeup of the piece and then a closeup (in focus :) ) of the area of the cabinet from which it came...

If it's very new your best hope is to see if you can get the builder to upgrade to something better would be my best guess...

--

Reply to
dpb

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:54:11 -0600, dpb wrote (in article ):

I put the best pictures I could get up for viewing :( This house was a flip and I don't know who did the installation. Some posters seem to think it's enamel. It is quite glossy.

May have to have someone look at it and determine what it really is.

Reply to
James Harvey

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:38:03 -0600, Vic Smith wrote (in article ):

Hm. Stripping the entire cabinet is not exactly what I had in mind :( but it may be best to do that. I'm pretty big on DIY but I may let a pro handle this.

Reply to
James Harvey