Professional kitchen fitting costs

Not diy, but...I've got a quote for replacing our kitchen worktop and=20 some other bits, and wondered if it sounded reasonable to you lot or=20 laughable.

The work is:

  • replacing 5.8m of worktop (most of it is an L-shaped run, with holes=20 for hob and sink, plus another small length).
  • removing and refitting gas hob
  • removing existing sink and mixer tap, and supplying and installing new=20 stainless steel sink and mixer tap
  • supplying and installing decorative panel for below the sink (nothing=20 there with the current, Belfast, sink)

The new worktop will be 40mm, which is thicker than the existing beech=20 one (23mm?), so there'll be some sawing of wood panelling above the=20 worktop to fit the thing in.

The new worktop is laminate, can't remember the brand but the samples=20 seemed pretty good quality. Sink and tap are of a standard somewhere=20 above bog.

Total price: =A31447. It's an independent local outfit who seem competent= =20 and not hardselling.

Any thoughts?

David

Reply to
David McNeish

I would say that it is a bit on the high side, but not outrageous.

If the sink and especially mixer really are good ones, then with a good laminate worktop you are in the £500-600 range in materials.

At a reasonable guess, I would think two man-days of work assuming that there is not major plumbing change.

So all told, I would have thought about £1000 would be more reasonable. However, if it is really good worktop, sink and mixer, then the pricing would be reasonable nearer your quote.

Do make sure that the fitter is a CORGI member and can produce an ID card. This is a legal requirement for professionals doing gas fitting.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , David McNeish writes

In Manchester, I get a whole kitchen fitted, inc. electrics, tiling, oven, hob & extractor, for £2250 + VAT. The worktop is about 12 feet

40mm Black marble effect.

Sounds like a lot of money unless your sink & taps are better than the dogs........

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In message , Snowman writes

The whole kaboodle, (excluding washer, dishwasher & Fridge/Freezer).

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

The material costs can vary *hugely*. I'm in the middle of doing our kitchen, and our hob, extractor, oven, sink and (laminate) worktops alone came to £1700. That's just to buy these items.

Reply to
Grunff

Are any materials included in that or is that just labour?

Peter (currently planning for new kitchen).

Reply to
Snowman

Agreed, but the OP is only having a run of worktop, sink and taps renewed, and this is costing half the cost of my kitchen - I am merely putting things into perspective and from my experience it seems very expensive.

Worktop - say, £200 Expensive Taps - say, £150 Sink - say, £150

Labour, Joiner + Labourer @ £150 per day, 2 days, £300.

Tops £800 +/-

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In message , Snowman writes

Sorry peter - I stopped giving recommendations 10 years ago because if it backfired, it backfired on me.

In addition, the last good builder I found and recommended to people now has no time to work for me.

My current guy is very busy, and very slow in getting round to things, but I put up with it because I have been let down by so many.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

If they come with a recommendation, I'm interested - I'm in Handforth.

Can you give contact details?

Peter.

Reply to
Snowman

I'll have 10 at that price, try £200-250 per day in Manchester.

Reply to
James

There is also the matter of having all the kit to make the L joint.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

So the labourer is working for nowt then?

your later post says he is very busy, at those prices I'm not suprised especially if he is good

Reply to
John

Askilan worktops 640mm wide running 1620 mm, 3300 mm and 820 mm = £1,900 plus hob, sink, tap cut outs plus drainer grooves and joins. Your pocket can always be someone else's oyster ;-(

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

In message , Richard Savage writes

Presumably Askilan is an incredibly expensive worktop?

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

My kitchen cost just over £4500 all inclusive, and that is in the Manchester area.

Mind you it is the dogs bollox, and has inbuilt everything.

I decided to go for the fitters with the longest waiting list, sure enough, although i paid a lot, the job is damn good. They did something called a butt and scribe on the granite worktops, so there are no visible joins, apparently that costs a lot to do...

Andrew King.

Reply to
Andrew King

Why anyone would pay such a price for a laminte worktop is beyond me! I (or anyone else with a telephone) could source top quality oak tops (40mm) for less than that, or well fitted corian (not incl sink or splashbacks), or even low grade granite!

But, each to their own I guess!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

In message , Andrew King writes

Well, I did it myself

It's called DIY

Reply to
raden

Few months ago a mate bought a B&Q kitchen in their "sale". It cost £600 all in. Fitting cost.... £2200!!!

I did it for him in less than a week and that included tiling, electrics, plumbing, etc. whereas the B&Q fit price was just to fit the kitchen units and tops.

Realistically, quality fitters charge £200 per day ish and why not. If you can't DIY or won't DIY then you have to pay and surely a good fitter who has invested in quality tools, vehicle, etc. deserves to earn £50k pa - which is around £30k after overheads etc. If you object to any tradesman earning £30kpa then you need to wake up - this is 2004 and life is expensive!

Reply to
PJ