Blocking tap hole for stainless steel sink

We have an old stainless steel sink which we can't afford to/don't necessarily want to replace at present. Trouble is, it has two holes for taps rather than just one. The existing two-hole mixer tap is very tatty, not really high enough, and needs replacing. I don't want to fork out on a new, but effectively obsolete twohole mixer. If I get a onehole mixer can I buy a nice blanking plate for one of the tap holes? If so, where?

TIA

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

stainless steel sinks are littering every skip in town, and can be had for under £20 in most sheds.

two hole mixers are a LOT more stable than monoblocs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try freecycle for another sink. I recently gave one away by that route. Two hole mixer taps are only about =A320 in the sheds. If your sink is that old, the tap holes may not take a mono tap. Mine didn't, I had to enlarge them. By the time you've done that and blanked off the unused hole, you may as well get a cheap two hole mixer.

John

Reply to
John

Why is a two hole fitting 'obsolete'? And so what anyway - so is the sink, according to yourself. Two hole fittings are my preference - they are much more rigid in stainless steel. No problems finding nice looking ones either - or at least last time I checked.

Be aware too that one hole types are designed for high pressure water. If your hot comes from a storage system they will reduce the flow considerably.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ooo, that is a usefull snippet. I *hate* the sink tops that the sheds se= ll with two monoblock a tap holes to save stocking LH or RH versions. A blanking plate not only looks ugly but is alomost bound to leak at some =

point.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I didn't want to buy a new two hole mixer (not cheap) and find I couldn't get (or would have only a very limited choice of) a two hole sink unit when I wanted/needed to replace the old one.

I take your point about reduced flow - that's useful to know. And also the previous point made about stability. I guess when we can eventually afford to renovate the kitchen I probably wouldn't go down the stainless steel route anyway, now I think about it. Can anyone recommend a good online source of two hole mixer taps please?

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

It depends on what you mean by 'expensive' the basic two hole kitchen mixer tap is £21 from screwfix.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

the s/s sinks they sell come without holes so you hav eto make

I mounted [an IKEA] sink as far forward as I could, and drilled the tap hole in the worktop behind the sink. Much prefer this to drilling the hole in the sink itself; being fixed to the worktop, the tap is rock solid and doesn't wobble around at all. Makes the sink slightly easier to clean too.

Somewhere, I have an IKEA metal punch for making the tap hole, still sealed in it's packaging.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I didn't realise they were so cheap - I must have missed that page when I was searching! I was hoping to get something with a bit more height though - and they do come rather more expensive, but not as expensive as I thought.

Keith

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

They can still wobble around on bacofoil sink units. Copper rather than flexible pipe tails helps, though it strains the tap connectors.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Surely most twin hole fittings have 1/2 in connectors? Those coupled to well supported pipe give a *very* rigid mounting.

That's the problem with mono block types - the tiny pipes used give no support.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)