Garbage disposer too noisy with stainless steel sink?

I've read that the combination of garbage disposer and stainless steel sink is likely to be too noisy. But I've also seen SS sinks with a sound-deadening coating on the underside; does that make much difference? Do some disposers work better with SS sinks?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

How long are you going to run it For each time you use it, anyway?

My own preference is to use the disposer for getting rid of small scraps of food washed off plates and cookware, and not as a general "garbage can", thus our disposal is usually run for a few seconds at a time.

Ours is installed in an "uninsulated" single stainless steel sink, and I've really never found its noise unbearable. Plus, I bet the water flowing over the bottom of the sink helps damp vibrations.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The heavier the gauge of steel and the more sound deadening material the quieter it will be, though I doubt you can get it as quiet as it will be with a cast iron sink. Also, the better quality disposals tend to vibrate less.

If you really like SS, the disposal issue would not stop me.

Reply to
trader4

I don't know, but since the disposal runs about two minutes a day, I'm not going to do any noise comparisons or change my mind about what I want. Get a good model of InSinkErator or Kitchen Aid and move on.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Our disposal was pretty noisy on our stainless sink, but that didn't stop us from using it. It doesn't run that often or that long. But when I got around to it, I stuck some automotive sound-deadening sheet under the sink, and now it's much quieter.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

My disposal is much quieter since I started composting.

Reply to
Phisherman

Better quality sinks made of heavier gage material are quieter and will not ding up so easily. Quieter when you place stuff in them, quieter when you run the water. Yes, you can tell the difference. lower gage number means thicker walls. 18g is thinker than 20g which is thicker than 23g.

Also, better disposers are quieter too.

You get what you pay for.

Reply to
No