stainless steel gauge

Doing a bit of research on ss sinks, and the one I fancy is 0.7 gauge. Is that too thin? I wonder what the norm is for a good quality domestic sink.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Recently I wanted to cut a hole in a ss sink to accommodate a filter tap and was aware that ss work hardens and is difficult to cut, I was trying to purchase a "what we used to call a Q-Max cutter" and went to a local tool shop who has a very knowledgeable owner. He told me that modern ss sinks are not ss but some kind of mild steel coated with stainless steel, I cannot verify this info, however, I had no difficulty in cutting a hole in it using a series of hss drills up to 11 mm. Hope that helps in your quest.

Don

Reply to
Donwill

Ikea do a cutter because their ss sinks are not pre-drilled. I suppose that gives you the option of having the taps in the worktop (not a good idea IME).

My problem is that I want the 1000mm x 600mm roll front type which is being sold online at anything from £45 to £160. I know the £45 version is 0.7mm but I'm still waiting to hear what gauge the £160 version is. I suspect it's the same sink, which has to be pretty crappy I would think

Reply to
Stuart Noble