Greenlee knockout punch on SS sink?

I have a set of Greenlee knockout punches used for, obviously, creating holes for electrical conduit. I've cut holes in some fairly thick metal over the years, and these tools have never flinched.

I'm wondering if they're sturdy enough to create a hole in a stainless steel sink. I'm not sure of the gauge. It's not the lightweight super-thin junk you find at home centers for $50, but it's not commercial, either. I'd hate to ruin either the sink or the tools.

I'm not squeamish, and I'm reasonably sure this will get the job done, but if anyone knows (maybe the hard way) why I shouldn't try this, please chime in.

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Barr

Subject: Greenlee knockout punch on SS sink? Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Robert Barr I have a set of Greenlee knockout punches used for, obviously, creating

Do you have the hydraulic set? Just curious... I've punched considerable metal with the hydraulic set. Let us know.

Reply to
G. Morgan

You may not find good results with a regular knock out set. They do make knock outs for stainless. They are expensive.

Barry

Reply to
Barry

Unfortunately, I could never justify the cost of a hydraulic set. This is the manual type which I use a ratchet on.

I've seen these dies rated at 10 gauge (but 10 gauge of what?), and the good Elkay sinks are 18 and 20 gauge, so the thickness isn't a challenge. I'm pretty certain that SS is tougher than the stamped stuff that electrical boxes are made of.

I guess we will see soon.

Reply to
Robert Barr

considerable metal

The 10 gauge rating is on mild steel. I don't have my greenlee catalog in front of me but, they are also rated for SS in thinner sections ( I think to

16 gauge ) Remember that the conduit punches punch odd sized holes, they are marked for the size of the conduit not the hole!

William.....

Reply to
William

Depends on the punch kit & the punches

IMO 10 gage stainless is going to be tough to punch without the hydraulic setup

Here's so info on a Greenlee punch for use with hydrauliuc tool.

28160 - Greenlee 28160-Slug Splitter Punch 1-1/4" Conduit Size (NEW) Slug-Splitter heavy-duty punches are designed to punch up through 10 gauge stainless steel. Excellent abrasion resistance for punching fiberglass and plastic.
Reply to
BobK207