Rust Collects in Toilet Bowl?

I notice that rust collects in my toilet. It forms along the inside of the bowl, in the water.

I tried cleaning the tank of any rust, (shut off water, flushed to empty tank, than cleaned tank with a "rust remover"). I got A LOT of rust out of the tank. But still after a week or so, the rust comes back.

I can clean it out no problem, just a little Soft-Scrub works great.

Any thoughts on how to prevent it from returning??

Reply to
FXDWG

Whole house water filter. Easy to install, just change the cartridge as needed. It may be coming from the town water lines, a common problem.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Are you on a well? If so what you may have is "iron bacteria" in the water. You can eliminate the problem by chlorinating the water or shocking th well, but iron bacteria is generally harmless.

-- manhattan4

----------------------------------------------------------------------- manhattan42's Profile:

this thread:
post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or

Reply to
manhattan42

Someone mentioned iron bacteria which is one possibility. Another one is "black iron" or ferrous iron which is a form of iron oxide but which is dissolved and invisible until it changes in the presence of oxygen to ferric iron...the red, visible form.

How you can get rid of it depends on the concentration. A regular old water softener will work pretty well for lower concentrations; there are other ways for higher concentrations...best ask a water treatment company. And don't take what they say as gospel, ask other people and companies as well.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Reply to
FXDWG