Electrical socket from light switch for cctv.

I always reverse out of my drive (and car park spaces) for the following reasons:

1) Driving forwards is easier than backwards, so it's best to go into the small space when going forwards. 2) When you've got a queue of cars behind you, and you reverse into the space, you hold them up. Driving in forwards you don't. You can wait till it's clear before you reverse, again not holding anyone up. 3) I've seen a lot of twits reversing into a car park space, requiring the cars behind them to backup and leave room for him to reverse back, after he's gone past the space. These twits can be taught a lesson by the car behind simply driving forwards into the space they were going to reverse into.

If I don't wear a seatbelt, and someone drives into me and kills me, he'd get away with it then? I mean it's my fault for bypassing a safety feature......

earth gets disconnected. So you're trying to blame one thing for another thing happening later. That's like saying it's my fault for parking my car on a double yellow line because then the guy doing 150mph through the built up area wouldn't have hit it.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

And leaving that space into the traffic is safer/easier going backwards?

Do you actually drive? It's possible to park in a tight space in just one go by reversing into it. Not possible going forwards, unless you mount the kerb which is illegal and also often not possible if there is a lamp post or whatever. Other thing is most will be parking in their drive at the end of the day where time pressure isn't so great as going to work in the morning. These prats who hold everyone up backing out of their drive in the morning just show how selfish they are.

You show what a prat you are with each successive sentence.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then you're an idiot with very little respect for safety, but you prove that in every thread you post to in here.

If you're a reasonably competent driver, it's as easy to reverse in as drive in. So you admit you are not a competent driver.

Given that there will normally be just as much traffic when you're leaving, that argument doesn't work. I've also seen drivers take up to four shunts to get the car into a tight space when driving forwards, when one or at most two would be needed to reverse in.

I turn my hazard lights on before stopping, then reverse in, making it obvious to other drivers what I'm doing. It's very rare that anyone is ill mannered enough to deliberately prevent me from doing so. The last one that tried your trick on me ended up with a bad scratch on his wing where he hit the (At that moment) stationary corner of my car. Oops.

The insurance company would certainly drastically reduce any payout they might make to your estate, citing your contributory negligence.

The authorities would apportion blame for the actual collision, just as if you had been wearing a seatbelt. They would, however, consider whether death would have resulted if you had been wearing a belt when deciding on the penalty for the act.

Just another day in Scott World...

Reply to
John Williamson

As I said below, you wait till it's clear.

Yes.

It's more difficult.

Practice more or choose bigger spaces.

Anyway, I was referring to a CAR PARK. Which part of "car park" confused you?

If nobody is on the pavement, you are doing no harm.

Doesn't happen often.

Stop leaving things to the last minute.

They don't hold anyone up, as I said before "You can wait till it's clear before you reverse".

I got the space, they didn't. They lose out, I don't.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Safety is gained by driving carefully with full attention, if you can't do that and have to take the easy way out of things, then go take some driving lessons.

If you're a reasonably competent driver, forwards becomes easier too. They will never become the same.

What's traffic volume to do with it? You can't choose when to pull in, you have to pull in when you arrive. You have to do it with the current traffic level. When leaving, you can wait till it's clear.

Funny, I've never had to engage reverse gear. I drive straight in and that's it. And you claim to be a "competent driver"....

Which will make people assume you've broken down, then try to squeeze past you. Don't abuse hazard lights.

That doesn't help them having to wait to get past. You're delaying them while you reverse in. I'm delaying myself when waiting to reverse out. You're selfish.

He's next to the parking spot, you've driven past it. Off you go to find another one. Why should everyone else back up just for you?

If you weren't moving, then that was him being careless and nothing to do with his choice of parking manoeuvre. If you're lying and you were moving (which I suspect is the case), then I hope next time there's a CCTV camera watching you.

There's a word for people who take precautions for minor possibilities. It's the same word we use to describe a small cat, or part of the female reproductive system.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Safest driver on the company six months running. Smoothest driver most months, too. I probably drive more miles in a fortnight than you do in a year.

Yes, as you get better, reverse is easier than forwards.

So you can wait until the store closes? Good for you.

I claim it, various advanced driving examiners confirm it, and up to two hundred people a day thank me for being such a good driver.

By the time I've stopped moving, they *can't* squeeze past me.

I didn't say they had to back up to let me in. Of course, if you're the kind of idiot that drives almost touching the bumper of the car in front....

I wasn't lying,I just have quicker reactions than he does.

Oh, a small cat is now called a "careful" or a "sensible"? This is obviously not English as it is spoken in the real world. I'll make a note for the new dictionary.

Reply to
John Williamson

Yet you find it difficult to pull forwards into a space.

Bullshit. Easier things are always easier. As you get better, everything becomes easier.

If it's that packed, someone will let you out, when they WANT TO.

You've done an advanced driving course, that disqualifies you from a sensible driving discussion because:

1) You felt the need to do it as you were crap at driving, or you were forced to do it by the cops after driving dangerously.

and 2) You feel you are so much better than everyone else, just because you've had more lessons, teaching you to drive the way the HC states, without thinking for yourself any longer.

Depends on how big the road is.

And you've cause them to have to wait, whether they want to or not. How nice of you.

If everyone is going round a car park at 1mph looking for that elusive space, we're not going to leave huge gaps are we?

And if someone like you wants to reverse I just sit there behind you. There's f*ck all you can do.

You've just admitted to causing the accident. Driving in the way of someone, then screeching to a halt so they smash into you.

Basically you're saying it would be ok for me to pull out of a sideroad without giving way to oncoming traffic, then come to a sudden stop. "I wasn't moving at the time they crashed into me officer".

Wrong again. I'll buy you a dictionary, oh wait there's one available for free online.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

In message , Lieutenant Scott writes

It's the current that kills you, not the voltage, which is why static is generally harmless.

Reply to
bert

Your safety philosophy is the same as the guys at Chernobyl.

Reply to
bert

It's both you ignorant bafoon.

My car battery can produce 400 amps. It doesn't even tickle when I touch it.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

A nuclear reactor exploding is hardly the same thing as getting a low voltage shock.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

And there is 201 of the the Highway Code. I had to drive forwards into a driveway a couple of weeks ago as that was the only way I could get the battery on charge and get out of the drivers door and still have access to the back doors to the van. I just got a banksman when I reversed out (pavement not road issues in this case). The banksman was the next door neighbour of where I was working

You should see my next door neighbours son trying to park without using reverse. Try 4 attempts forwards before taking 3 attempts to reverse in!

Either the hazzards or by stopping for a short moment whilst indicating by the spot that you want to reverse into gives the game away to all but the most clueless of drivers sat on your bumper. The last one that was stupid enough not to realise what I was doing just had to sit there as I left the van in the middle of the road and went in to my house for my tea. - and boy was this one clueless - he talked himself into an obstruction charge when the police arrived after he called them.

And he has probably bypassed the ABS and the ESP to make his car safer!

Reply to
ARW

Nope, I just find it easier and safer to reverse in. Or, in the case of a car park, look for two spaces in the right orientation, and drive through one into the other, so I drive out as well as drive in. It helps that I don't normally shop at weekends.

There speaks the voice of limited experience. Some things get easier more quickly than others.

Or, as in my case, the company offered it as a compulsory freebie to all drivers to help reduce the company's insurance premiums. I didn't say I'd done the course, anyway. I mentioned the assessment that is normally done after the course, which we did as a check to see how much tuition we required to bring us up to standard. I didn't need any.

No, I know my driving is far better than average because of my licence being clean for the last three decades or so, and not having had or caused any accidents, or even a scratch on the vehicle in the last half a million miles or so. That and the many dozens of passenger letters asking for my services next time. And the total lack of phone calls by other drivers complaining to the company about my driving. And the regular check drives which the company insist on for all drivers.

When was your driving last independently assessed?

If the road's wide enough, they're not "squeezing" past.

So if I have to brake to avoid a pedestrian, you would be close enough that you would hit my vehicle? That's the only way you'd be close enough not to realise what was going on and be able to leave room. Unless, of course, you're kind of idiot that would deliberately baulk another driver just for fun.

Now who's being inconsiderate?

I was reversing into the space at about 1mph when I saw the idiot driving into it. I stopped to try and prevent a collision, and he couldn't stop in time. I was stationary, he was moving. His fault entirely.

Different situation entirely, but then again, a person with your claimed intelligence and your boasted about degree would, of course, realise this.

However, I have always managed to dodge the idiots who do this so far. Usually by seeing them start to pull out and reacting quickly to the situation which I saw developing before they even saw me. Next time, if I know it's you, I'd be glad to give Darwin's law its chance to claim you.

Reply to
John Williamson

"It's the volts wot jolts, it's the mills (Milliamps) wot kills". Static charge has many kilovolts, but roughly zero milliamps available and normally not enough charge stored to disrupt your heart rhythm. I've played with static generators capable of producing a million volts or so and didn't take any precautions against shock. I've had a really nasty shock off a an amplifier power supply with only 190 volts available, but a reasonably sized smoothing capacitor in the circuit.

Measure the resistance between your fingertips or fingertip and earth using a multimeter. Then work out the current that would flow for 12 volts. For me, it works out at about 20 microamps, which nobody can feel.

On the other hand, a nine volt battery across your tongue will give you quite a belt due to the low resistance offered by your wet tongue.

Not many volts across a couple of electrodes on your chest with a good, solid electrical connection to your skin will kill you within a second or so.

Reply to
John Williamson

He's talking about the philosophy behind the respective actions.

In both cases, it seems to be a case of "Don't care about safety" The only difference is that you're not in charge of a nuclear reactor. The guys at Chernobyl deliberately disabled safety features, just as you claim to have.

Reply to
John Williamson

Well done, that man. :-)

Do you remember Reginald Molehusband?

They lost the original film, unfortunately, but they've remade it:-

course, The Lootenant would just have driven in, then found out that he had to shunt back ad forth to get his car parallel with the kerb. Or, as it's probably a pedal car given his apparent experience of driving, just lifted it into place.

Reply to
John Williamson

You ran someone over because you weren't looking where you were going?

More fun to watch people with trailers or caravans on caravan sites or recycling centres.

You were at the front of the obstruction. How much did you bribe the officer? You were free to drive off and park elsewhere, but you chose to stay there through stubbornness.

I bypassed the ABS light on my previous car to pass the MOT.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I'm not the one that can't forwards park.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

You need the voltage, AND the current producing capability. You can't get dangerous currents from low voltage. Therefore BOTH are important.

And in the example we were discussing, the maximum current that can flow through the load is too little to be dangerous.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Could've sworn I just said that...

In the case you quoted, the current available by your calculation is about double the lethal current if it passes through your chest.

Reply to
John Williamson