Electrical socket from light switch for cctv.

WTF has this to do with a shock? I never said use the earth as a live.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Earth and neutral are both zero volts, it works just fine.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I've got fuses for everything except lighting. Less nuisance trips.

I have circuit breakers on the lighting to protect the PIR lighting system I put in my house which is a bit fragile to shorting if a bulb fails the wrong way.

I have no RCD. They don't protect me against fire, so I don't need them.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

It's OK as long as people don't try it!

Reply to
Adam Funk

And as you a sandwich short of a picnic then we can ignore anything that you say.

Reply to
ARW

Are you sure that they are always both zero volts?

Reply to
ARW

Says the guy without a response.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Near enough. I've never seen the difference be higher than a volt.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Earth & neutral are normally zero volts.

Reply to
bert

Until you get a circuit with a disconnected earth somewhere, then everything metal in scotty's house is live because some clueless retard decided it was ok to use the earth as a neutral.

Reply to
John Rumm

Never heard of voltage drop in a circuit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , bert writes

Earth and neutral are normally connected at the local substation

but

RULE No 1

You always measure live wrt neutral NOT to earth

RULE No 2

see rule No 1

Reply to
geoff

Bullshit. I'm not connecting LIVE to the earth, I'm connecting NEUTRAL to it.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Yes always subtract zero and not zero. [shakes head]

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I've seen it used in the past year for a new installation of street lighting, Single red core, spiral armour for combined neutral / earth, probably still got a short offcut somewhere that I picked up.

Reply to
The Other Mike

no knobstick, if you are placing a load between live and earth then you are connecting live to earth.

Think how much current flows through the circuit when you disconnect the earth - its a nice round number. Now apply ohms law to work out the voltage drop across the load with zero current flowing through it. Finally take that away from your mains supply voltage and you have the voltage on your (previously) earthed metalwork.

Reply to
John Rumm

Curious, fuses are far more tolerant of bulb failure than MCBs.

And the reasoning behind that is?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice
[snip]

That he is a troll and an idiot.

Reply to
Steve Firth

With f*ck all current capabilities. We were talking about small loads remember.

That CRT over there has got millions of volts of static on it but for some reason it doesn't kill me when I touch it....

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Exactly. When an incandescent blows in a shorted state (GU10 spots like to do this), the MCB trips quicker than the fuse. With the fuse, it's the PIR device that breaks first. And they cost more than an MCB.

Because I'm not a pansy afraid of a shock.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott