Don't scrap that diesel car just yet!!

Well you can buy the bigger (more expensive ones) for less than 50p in twos and threes.

The sort used in cars must be 10p or less.

All they are are a couple of coils and a magnet, no expensive precision springs or bearings and no expensive calibration processes or damping needed.

Reply to
dennis

I might have guessed this bollocks came from Our Dave. I don't want to set a "required temperature", since I don't know what the required temperature is. I want to set things to what is comfortable. What is comfortable will depend on a lot of factors that cannot be melded down to a simple number, a temperature. After 12 years of fiddling with smarty-pants heating systems, it is clear that a simple slider is best; it can be operated without looking at it, as can a knob to rotate to set the fan speed.

Nothing more that that is needed (*) - and meanwhile I can concentrate on the road.

  • With, I agree, exceptions for occasional use such as defrosting.
Reply to
Tim Streater

My old Rover has slide controls. One for temperature, one for distribution and a knob you turn for fan speed. State of the art in its day, likely.

But all my more recent cars have had climate control. An on/off button each for direction. Two or a toggle for temperature and fan speed - if you wish to override the auto settings.

A touch screen would likely come in to that since there is no button to feel, so you have to look. Not much of a fan of those.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You must have fun and games in your house. You'll be the type constantly fiddling with the thermostat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup. My car needs me to access a menu, scroll down to the setting, click it, scroll back to the top and click again just to turn the air-con on or off. My previous car had a dedicated button for that.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker