Don't scrap that diesel car just yet!!

And they are never learnt how to drive without a clutch.

Reply to
ARW

taunt not learnt

Reply to
ARW

One of the first things I taught myself. I once had an old Morris 1100 and the clutch system failed somewhere north of Braintree. I got it all the way back to Canterbury with the clutch permanently engaged. That included throwing the money at the guy in the toll booth at the Dartford Tunnel, without stopping...

Reply to
Bob Eager

No. You stop and stall the engine on the brakes, engage first gear and then startt the engine in first.

Easy peasy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK. You've had your apprentice correct your typos.

Reply to
Richard

That's how I got started the first time. I didn't want to risk it in heavy traffic.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think we have been here before, Bosch probably provide example code just like many other manufacturers do. They almost certainly have a tool kit that allows others to modify the example code just like other manufacturers do. Exactly why you think a group like VW wouldn't be able to or not want to write some of the code is the issue.

Reply to
dennis

The trouble with Our Dave is that he lacks imagination. The Party says that Bosch should write all the code for its customers, so that there might be an option as you say for Bosch to provide a kit allowing the customer to write its own software to drive the product is forbidden. BY ORDER!

After all, we've always been at war with Eastasia. Errm, haven't we?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not in a loaded Scudo.

Reply to
ARW

I taught myself that after my dad described it, practiced in a work van :-). Managed Birmingham City Centre to the VW dealer at New Oscott when the cable broke as I was leaving the car park. A couple of tricky moments, it was near rush hour, but thankfully less traffic in those days, can't imagine doing it now. Changed the cable on the car park at OH's work.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks for confirming you know less about industry than most things. No wonder you voted Brexit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Directly triggered rev counters from an ignition coil are a remnant of the

1960's and 70's with either a contact breaker or a contactless system but still using a distributor. Last car produced with contact breaker? 30 years ago? Last car with a distributor 20 years ago?

The commonly used means of acquiring an engine revs signal requires signal processing for measuring the passage of the toothed wheel and the position of the missing tooth on the crank or cam. It then uses this to synchronise the spark and fuel injection elsewhere in the ECU.

By the mid to late 1980's the crank pulse detector fed the ECU, that then triggered an (often external) external ignition coil pack and that unit often fed the moving coil revcounter with a suitable loop current or a PWM signal.

But when everything is in the digital domain it's often easier, cheaper and more reliable to send everything to the dash over a thin twisted pair to operate a dozen warning lamps and half a dozen gauges than use a huge bunch of discrete wires.

Rev counters and indeed most dash gauges including speedos nowadays are either driven by stepper motor or are a visual widget on an LCD display.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Quite possibly. But, irrespective of how the signal reaches the dashboard and how it moves the needles on the gauges, I'd still expect the feed for the gauge to be from a crankshaft rotation sensor that is also used for determining timing of fuel injection and (for petrol) spark. Likewise I'd expect the speedo to be driven from a wheel-rotation or final-drive-rotation sensor. I suppose you could drive the speeo from a GPS receiver and give a true reading, but you'd still need the wheel rotation as a fall-back in case of loss of GPS.

Doing it any other way seems unnecessarily complicated.

Reply to
NY

Of course. What I meant is I can't see any reason to 'frig' its reading, unlike with other gauges, as I explained.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Point I was making was that I can't see any reason why you'd want a tach to read anything other than true engine RPM. No point in fitting one unless it's reasonably accurate. After all a rev counter is of zero use to many drivers. For those who can make use of it, needs to be reasonably accurate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, They are normally analogue millammeters. Driven by the cars computer systems.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine (7 years old) certainly is a stepper-motor, the speedo and rev needles do a precise 'sweep' as part of the lamp check sequence when turning the ignition on.

Reply to
Andy Burns

When looking for a new car 18 months ago, I rejected one model precisely because it does that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Add another topic to the oh-so-long list of those that Turnip either knows nohing about or generalises from his limited and elderly experience.

And some modern cars don't have any physical dials at all.

Reply to
Huge

Of course, mine has the option to display a reasonably large digital speedo on the dash, which I tend to find easiest to read, especially since '30' does get a figure on the analogue dial.

Since someone has mentioned 'fudging' e.g. the rpm dial, I feel the digital speedo must do quite a lot of smoothing, as it never 'flickers' between a number and +/- 1mph

Reply to
Andy Burns