Don't scrap that diesel car just yet!!

My Jaguar temperature gauge always (once warm) stayed EXACTLY in the centre of the dial...

Even after 2 hours of trying to exit a show six feet at a time, when the 'GEARBOX OVERHEATED' light came on....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So now you are saying Bosch test all cars their system goes into.

And even if they did put the cars through the tests they would have behaved exactly as they did and passed the emissions tests. You would have had to be looking for something other than the product working,

Of course all the garages and *owners* knew the cars were cheating because they weren't using the adblue. but they all kept quite about it.

Reply to
dennis

WTF are you on about? The ?cheating? cars had no adblue system so there was no way that owners could know that their cars were cheating.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes. My last three cars have all done just that. Think originated by Bosch.

Quite possible for the gearbox to overheat, but not the engine. Even more so in cold weather.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I take it you didn't read or understand what I wrote?

I'd expect just hooking it up to their diagnostics would immediately show any changes to programming from what they'd expect. The software for my aftermarket programmable ECU does exactly that - so hardly rocket science.

And absolutely no-one at Bosch lives in the real world?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, I believe they did.

Because using it was what allowed them to pass the test.

Not using it te rest of the time was what made the urea last and the MPG looks so good :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some of them did.

Reply to
dennis

Maybe some cheating cars had AdBlue, but I know for sure that others didn't.

For non-AdBlue cars, what allowed them to "pass" the test, was detecting the unrealistic conditions of the test, and behaving differently

If you've got a spare hour, this is an interesting video, the first chap gives his experience of how the car industry undertakes development, the second chap goes down to byte level of how the EMU actually cheats in an AdBlue system.

Reply to
Andy Burns

And the follow-up a year later by the first chap, says basically "Bosch knew" and they coughed-up.

Reply to
Andy Burns

So are you saying that these cars had the systems but didn?t consume adblue or consumed less than they should have? How were owners to know what the ?correct?consumption of adblue was?

Owners weren?t involved other than as victims of this affair.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Correct.

They weren't, of course.

Correct. And, indeed VW et al were doing what they were supposed to: produce a car that was efficient on diesel, and passed the regulatory tests.

In the same way that the 1975 MGB that went to the USA had an air pump to add air to the exhaust to reduce the PERCENTAGE of hyrdocarbons in it....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
8<

Well its obvious that they were in dave's conspiracy along with all of Bosch. Wouldn't you notice if a consumable wasn't being consumed? Wouldn't you be worried that something was broken and take it to a garage to have it fixed under warranty?

Maybe some but, not all.

Reply to
dennis

Can you point to any evidence that this happened? Why would VW fit an adblue system then turn it off?

The vast majority of affected cars didn?t have adblue systems so there?s no way that *all owners* (your emphasis) knew that anything was the matter at all.

And how would owners know that something was broken in a perfectly running car?

More accurately, almost certainly none.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Not to mention all the toxic ozone electric cars generate:

Cursitor Doom

How do electric cars make ozone?

Reply to
Fredxx

what makes you think that modern electric cars generate ozone?

Reply to
Tjoepstil

They made it at VW behest and warned them about usibg it

Reply to
paul.mccann

Well, that goes against the view of many on here. Who seem to think Bosch have nothing to do with mapping an engine. And are shiny clean.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its more to do with why you think Bosch would have anything to do with mapping an engine? Do they map all formulae one engines, bus engines, etc.?

Reply to
dennis

The logical thing is they co-operate with anyone and everyone they supplied their products to. At manufacturing level.

Do you really expect anyone using any Bosch product to write the software needed? Far more likely is Bosch supplies it for use by approved customers, as part of the package.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)