Don't scrap that diesel car just yet!!

I suspect the alarmist agenda is "evil diesel engines are poisoning us with particles" and the fact that they are not the predominant source of particle pollution is just the inconvenient well-known fact in the (media) background.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Most would mean by programming an engine ECU merely altering the software settings.

Quite. Remapping with the appropriate software is the way it will be done. Not writing new software for each and every model which uses the same hardware.

And when Bosch happened to look at any car equipped with their hardware to evaluate how it is doing, they'd also look at how it had been mapped.

Which is my point. The chances of Bosch not knowing what VW had done - if indeed it was VW themselves - zero.

If changing that 'software' resulted in a failure of a product also supplied by the controller maker, who would be to blame? And pick up the costs of any warranty claims?

But car maker etc software is never open source.

That is a load of what ifs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My point exactly. Rather lost on some of the theorists on here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The 'ODB' port is simply a way of accessing the engine ECU. To make changes to the mapping etc requires other than ODB software. On some makes there will be a second port for this. Dunno about all makes.

ODB and its universal port was introduced to allow any garage - not necessarily that make dealer - to check emissions etc using universal equipment. To actively prevent makers keeping everything in house at the expense of the customer.

It is not and never was designed to allow the ECU to be re-mapped.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Of course. In exactly the same way as electric car users never take into account the pollution cause to generate that electricity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just shows how stupid you are.

Reply to
Richard

Can't you guys search? vw emissions scandal bosch involvement One of the many returns:

Richard

Good point :-) Can't access that one due to paywall, but this:

really does suggest that Bosch developed and deployed the code used during emissions testing. Bosch still maintain they had nothing to do with it reaching production, though.

Reply to
RJH

Quite. And VW denied doing anything wrong until proved they were lying. Since they were the ones making/selling the cars, no real point in looking further. But the notion that Bosch didn't know what was going on beggars belief. Except to the gullible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
dennis

I'm not paying to read an unknown link.

Reply to
dennis

"Bosch has agreed to pay $327.5m to resolve allegations in the US that it played a significant role in Volkswagen?s diesel emissions scandal.

The civil settlement, which includes cash payments to some owners of VW diesel vehicles caught up in the scandal, resolves claims against the German car component maker in the US.

But Bosch, founded in 1886 and one of Germany?s best known companies, is still contending with at least one criminal investigation relating to the VW affair. Prosecutors in Stuttgart, where the private company is based, are investigating an undisclosed number of Bosch employees.

Bosch said on Wednesday it would ?continue to defend its interests in all other civil and criminal law proceedings?.?.?.?in Germany and in other countries?.

VW admitted in September 2015 that the German carmaker had equipped US diesel vehicles with illegal software dubbed a defeat device that served to understate emissions of harmful nitrogen oxides in official tests. "Bosch acknowledged shortly after the scandal broke that it supplied a component ? known as electronic diesel control unit 17 ? that VW used so its vehicles could cheat in laboratory tests.

Lines of code within the unit?s software enabled the cars to recognise when they were being tested, so they could emit much lower levels of NOx compared to when they were on the road.

Lawyers seeking compensation for US owners of VW cars affected by the affair had alleged that Bosch worked ?hand in glove? with the carmaker as a ?knowing and active participant in a massive, decade-long conspiracy?.?.?.?to defraud US consumers?.

But it has not been established that Bosch knowingly programmed electronic diesel control unit 17 to facilitate VW?s cheating.

Bosch said in September 2015 that ?how these components are calibrated and integrated into complete vehicle systems is fundamentally the responsibility of each automaker?.

In a statement on Wednesday, Bosch said it neither acknowledged the facts alleged by US plaintiffs nor accepted any liability.

Volkmar Denner, Bosch?s chief executive, said: ?Upon careful consideration of all relevant aspects, we have in this case decided to enter into a settlement agreement.?

He added Bosch wanted to focus on ?the biggest transformation process? in its history ? a reference to how the company, which also manufactures household appliances and power tools, is increasingly focused on software as much as hardware. Bosch chief executive Volkmar Denner © AFP

A court filing submitted late on Tuesday in California by lawyers acting for the US owners of VW cars affected by the scandal conceded that some of the most serious allegations against Bosch may have been ill-founded.

For example, the lawyers had alleged that in a May 2014 meeting between Mr Denner and Martin Winterkorn, then VW chief executive, the two men had discussed ?the acoustic function? ? allegedly a code name for the cheat software.

Bosch was able to show, however, that the discussion ?in fact referred to diesel vehicle acoustics, and not an alleged defeat device?, said the lawyers in the Tuesday court filing.

Under the proposed settlement, US owners of VW?s 2.0-litre engine cars affected by the scandal will receive $350 each from Bosch. US owners of the more expensive, 3.0-litre cars ? including models from VW and its luxury brands Audi and Porsche ? are to receive $1,500 each.

A court in California that has supervised VW?s civil settlements in the US in relation to the emissions scandal is expected to give preliminary approval to the Bosch deal on February 14.

The $327.5m payment to resolve US civil litigation comes after Bosch last year earmarked ?750m for legal costs ? primarily for the VW affair.

The allegations against Bosch in the affair had threatened the image of a company known for being conservative, diligent and with a low appetite for risk.

Since 2001 Bosch has been rated AA-minus by S&P Global Ratings, making it the most creditworthy company in Germany.

Analysts said Bosch?s image was clearly tarnished by the allegations, but that the settlement would mitigate the damage.

The settlement indicates Bosch ?should not have been involved? but that its activity was not anywhere near the scale of VW?s, said one analyst, describing the deal as a ?slap on the wrist?.

?Clearly this is a cloud that?s been hanging over Bosch as soon as it became clear that it provided software used in the affected vehicles,? added Stephen Reitman, analyst at Société Générale.

?The question was always whether this was done with Bosch?s knowing?.?.?.?The size of the fine probably reflects it played a lesser role [than suspected].?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh dear. You don't know how to search! If you search the term: vw emissions scandal bosch involvement

then click the link, you don't have to pay.

Reply to
Richard

The use of brakes and not using gears to control a car is now shoved down all new learner drivers throats.

Reply to
ARW
[35 lines snipped]

And boy, does it ever show, if you watch the brakelights on the motorway; on, off, on, off, on, off, on, off, on, off, on, off, on, off, on, off, rinse and repeat ...

Reply to
Huge

They might but that is configuration or setting. You set a clock not program it.

Software is modular, you use some old stuff and write some new stuff. That's the way it works.

The mapping and the software are not the same thing, one is data the other is procedure. Bosch could look at the map and not have a clue that VW didn't use it during the test.

The supplier of the system to the customer of course. If you write software to run on aPC and it doesn't work do you blame the hardware manufacturer?

Yours is a load of what ifs, what if Bosch did it for VW ifs. I am merely pointing out that VW could have done it themselves and that the system almost certainly allows them to do so.

Reply to
dennis

It is. I learned and continue to use engine braking and changing down through the gears when approaching junctions. I had problems trying not to do this when training as an instructor (I never taught, as just as I completed training, the jobs market in Engineering picked up again).

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

AIUI, in the Jeep that I had, there were separate busses that carried data from the various control units. Data to and from the various computers and black boxes was all linked together and so commands sent via the ODB port to the vehicle were decoded and routed to the appropriate modules, which then sent their replies back down the same route.

The Rangie, using BMW based electronics, seems similar, and the cheapo Chinese OBD plug needs pins linked, presumably to hook together more than one system. The software supplied enables me to read and, if brave, alter blocks of internal data. I don't know if this contains code or just look-up tables of data. At a low level, I assume this is what has to be altered if I install, for example, an ICE module from a BMW X9 into my RR and want to change the display to say LR rather than BMW when I switch on.

What I wish I could find again was the online lecture by some American who had delved into his Jeep's ECU and demonstrated that, for example, the rev counter was not driven directly from sensors, but via lookup tables whose inputs combined info from more than one source. If I remember correctly, he deduced that the rev counter was more of a driver comfort display rather than direct reality. So you can't trust any of this stuff.

Does anyone know where this lecture is, or was?

Reply to
Bill

That someone else could do it is neither here nor there. The point was that Bosch was simply bound to have known what was going on. They will have examples of a major selling model through their own workshops to check how their products are standing up. And so on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can't think of a reason for the rev counter not to be in effect directly driven.

Things like the coolant temperature gauge have long been little more than a warning light on some cars, with the gauge showing bang on normal over a wide range of true coolant temperature, and only showing overheating when things exceed an upper limit. If oil pressure gauges were still around I'd expect them to do similar. To stop people who don't understand such things panicking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)