The Maplin website will be closed

I was told this is despite there has been two offers for the company.

The last I heard is there is going to be a merger between the Staples and Maplin brands. The demise of the website seems to dispel that idea too.

Reply to
Fredxx

Staples UK are online only now, all their shops were sold off and are now "Office Outlet"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are not Staples in the process of closing all their stores?

Reply to
alan_m

Staplin or Maples?

Reply to
Huge

Staples UK doesn't have any stores to close, they were sold and have/are becoming office outlet or something like that.

Reply to
dennis

The Staples brand has vanished; most of the stores have been renamed.

Reply to
charles

Not entirely. :oD

(BTW, for the hard of thinking, this is a *joke*. I do not need to be told that it isn't the same firm. Or that, ironically, there is (or was) a branch of Staples Office Supplies there.)

Reply to
Huge

In message , Huge writes

That takes me back! There was another one in that area, known as Gastetner Corner, but I cannot remember where, exactly.

Reply to
Graeme

"Gestetner", I would image.

Reply to
Huge

And the renamed stores are closing which suggests maybe a failing business model.

Reply to
alan_m

In the Netherlands Staples bought the post offices when they closed. Now Staples seem to be mail order only in NL too.

Reply to
Martin

Renamed what? For Sale? ;-)

Reply to
Martin

I got that wrong. he local one has closed, but others still exist

Martin

I do not know any business which buys their office supplies from any store like that. It's all been online for years. Rymann has perhaps found a market for when a town centre business needs a roll of sellotape or ream of paper "now".

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There was a time some years back that when the Maplin web site developers got quite good at SEO and link spamming, they totally trashed Google's ability to find me electronic items from other suppliers, even for items that eventually could not be found on the Maplin website though Google sent me there.

My cursing then seems to have worked ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Unlike mine... Amazon are still polluting web searches with useless results. :-(

Reply to
Johnny B Good

and Henley's Corner, and Hobart Corner?

Reply to
DJC

Wasn't that just a cheap copy? ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Not really. I suspect that they need to make the operation in one place. its the only way to make it pay. You might want to alias the name to the other site. However I suspect components from maplin are going to be a non starter. That type of business is now firmly on line from cheapo places. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maplins big mistake was to open high street stores. They obviously did not look at history and see what happened to Tandy. Tandy used to sell a lot of good stuff. I bought one of their cassette decks and it was the best one I ever owned. dead now of course as it actually wore out in the end. However you could buy almost anything electronic based there, including transistors and toys. The high rents and rates on high streets scuppered it and this and the Internet scuppered Maplin as well aas to some extent Comet who hoped that selling large appliances would be lucrative of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff