DIY Conservatory

Has anyone got any good advice for fitting a DIY Edwardian conservatory? From looking at various websites and newsgroups it seems as though there are different opinions on the best method.

Some suppliers seem to recommend not fixing the frames or cill to the dwarf wall until the roof is on - presumably to allow for adjustment when fitting the roof. Others seem to suggest that the cill should be levelled and fixed to the dwarf wall, followed by the frames and then the roof is constructed.

If anyone has any good advice please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark.

Reply to
mark.c.thomas

Well I didn't fix mine down (wooden construction, no dwarf wall, heavy glass roof) until about 2 months later when we had a forecast for high winds. Not that I'm suggesting it as good practice...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi Mark,

I finished putting up my DIY Edwardian conservatory a month or two back. I followed the advice of the supplier and others that had DIY'd before me and just placed the cill on the dwarf wall until I had put up the sides & doors. Then I places a couple of temporary fixings in to hold things in place plus the permanent fixings for the side to house points while I put the roof on. The roof did need some adjustment, not sure if fixing the sides / cill permanently would have made much difference but I was able to get things "just so" before I committed the fix.

The supplier was local to me and had also supplied neighbours before me so I had good source of knowledge as things went up that gave me confidence in the build.

have fun

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

My PVC one isn't fixed down (6 years old). Maybe if I had been in the path of the tornado in Brum it might have mattered.

Reply to
dennis