Conservatory Definition required.

I have contacted my local planning department and agreed that i do not need planning for a conservatory. They have also given me permission to have a tiled roof instead of polycarbonate or glass.

My issue is that what defines a conservatory. I wanted a dwarf wall all the way around of about 750mm. Does the remainder HAVE to be glass for the structure to be called a conservatory?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Reply to
Shabs

seems sensible to ask the planning department for their definition of a conservatory and take it from there. what, exactly, do they think you are trying to conserve ? ;-)

RT

Reply to
[news]

That's an extension, then, not a conservatory.

The definitions are on the ODPM's building regs website somewhere, or some local authority websites are more helpful than others.

Conservatories have to be predominantly translucent - I think eg translucent double wall polystyrene is acceptable instead of glass. Dwarf wall will be acceptable, but NOT tiled room. They also have to have exterior grade doors between the conservatory and the house.

If the structure does not fulfil the above then it is an extension not a conservatory, in which case it has to comply with full building regulations, which are a *completely* separate matter from planning. In particular, you will have to comply with foundations, which may be unexpectedly expensive.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

As I understand it, to be classed as a conservatory (and therefore be exempt from Building Control - which is separate from planning) a certain percentage of the walls must be translucent. As for the roof, it must be transparent. Having a tiled roof changes the classification from conservatory to extension. This may still not require planning permission (its the size of the extension and some other features which will decide) but extensions will come under Building Control. Note, if you fail to have a lockable external door between the original building and the conservatory, it will also require building control.

Unless you are 100% sure, I believe that because you have a non-transparent roof it will be classed as an extension.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Note that it would be difficult in the extreme to get a tiled roof conservatory past building control.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Try googling for:

building control guidance note conservatory site:gov.uk

Reply to
AlexW

Thanks for the comments so far... my issue was that I told the planning department, I have a conservatory with a polycarbonate roof. Due to the issues wtih rain (noise), and summer and winter (too hot and too cold), I asked if i could change my polycarbonate roof, to a traditional tiled roof without needing planning permission.

They advised me that there was no planning application for my conservatory - done under PD and was exempt as less than 50 cubic metres, and that as the conservatory did not require planning permission, to change the roof from polycarbonate to a traditional tiled roof (lean to conservatory) would not require planning permission.

The issue was I have not yet built my conservatory but pretended i had. What i will now do to satisfy the requirements is have a dwarf wall, tiled lean to roof, and windows and 1 door all the way around for the remainder. Presumably this will exempt me from building regs?

Reply to
Shabs

If the roof is not translucent, and there is not a lockable external quality door between the 'conservatory' and house, you'll require building regs.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Which are exceptionally difficult to obtain with glass walls, as you can't insulate them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On 16 Mar 2005, Christian McArdle wrote

Sliding sideways on this -- and asking about something that doesn't apply to the OP's as-yet-unbuilt "extervatory" -- what would be the situation under the building regs if one tiled the roof of an

*existing* conservatory (that is, one which was entirely compliant when built, with glass walls and roof and lockable external door)?

Would it suddenly count as an extension, or would the change fall under permitted alterations to an existing structure? (What if one put an "over-roof" above the existing glass, or a suspsended ceiling below it?)

Just curious, really....

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

It would count as a new roof, with new joists, rafters, supports, wind loading, rainwater drainage, proximity to other structures for spread of fire, etc., and will require Building Regulations approval for all of those and other things besides if it's considered part of a dwelling.

It will also weigh more than a lightweight glass or polywhatsit roof, so the conservatory beneath might start buckling.

It might be possible to build the roof as a carport -- it will still need B Regs approval for the relevant things above, but not for thermal insulation AIUI, and then fill in the sides of the carport with glass later.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Up here in Scotchland the official definition (from the building regs) is:

"CONSERVATORY means a building attached to a dwelling and having a door separating it from that dwelling and having not less than three-quarters of the area of its roof and not less than one-half of the area of its external walls made of translucent material. "

HTH

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

I doubt if it would get as far as the BCO coming. The whole structure would plummet earthwards before all the tiles were laid.

Reply to
Mike

I think i was trying to argue Christian's point of changing an existing conservatory to one with a tiled roof, but i can see it will not escape building regs. I will now try and email my building regs officer for his comments and keep you posted. The scotchland definition of 3/4 of the roof needing to be translucent will need looking at as a tiled roof with a velux will not even come close.

Reply to
Shabs

BAD NEWS I'M AFRAID...

Planning expert's views:-

"Yes I am afraid that changing the roof as you mention does bring the Building Regulations into play. The new work to the roof itself attracts the Building Regulations and it is also a "change of use" as it alters a previously exempt building into one that is not any more.The latter aspect could trigger the need for upgrade of the existing structure on some counts. An application would have to be submitted and I advise that you speak with the Building Control office at the respective local council."

Reply to
Shabs