Conservatory base

I'm planning on adding a conservatory in future.

I am thinking of a conservatory with no dwarf wall. UPVC/glass panels to the ground.

So I think a concrete pad base will be easiest.

I was planning to put a damp proof membrane down and up the wall of the house. The base will still be a step down from the kitchen door and be below the damp proof course of the house. I am planning to move my spa bath into the conservatory. What mix of concrete and thickness would be suitable? I would have thought 6 inches should be good enough.

My only other problem is that the drain for the kitchen sink will be within the conservatory. How best can I deal with this as I don't want smells from the drains back into the conservatory. The drain will also need to be available for excess flow from the spa bath.

Any suggestions or advice.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

The only proper way to deal with smells is to alter the drains. You can put in a stub soil stack, and drain into that, removing the old gully completely. Or even drain straight into a new access chamber (with double-seal lid if it ends up in the conservatory) Make sure that any rain water does not end up in the sewers though, unless you have a combined sewer system in your area. You may want some new drainage specifically for the hot tub. Like a trapped drain in the middle of the floor for splashes ? The reason why kitchen sink drains particularly end up smelling is that bits of food go down - they really are better going straight into the sewer I think.

Finally, as total bodge, you can build an air-tight box (tricky) with access lid around the drain and put a plant pot on top !

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Thanks for that. I thought I should mention that I am not on mains drainage. There are two drain pipes one from under the kitchen sink another from the downstairs toilet. These meet up and go straight to a septic tank. A current soil stack is near the toilet.

Reply to
david.cawkwell