Water system "noisy" at night ...

hi

I've just moved into a new house (built 1965).

A couple of years ago the owners got British Gas to install a new Potterton 30L-100L boiler in the attic.

I have noticed at night that there is a constant low-intensity sound coming from the attic, as though the heating is on - even though it isn't !

It's not an "abnormal" sound as such, just sounds as though the heating/water system is active.

My previous house had an old combi wall mounted boiler in the kitchen

- I'm sure this only made a sound when it was actually fired up & heating.

Maybe it's because the tank / boiler are right above me now ?

Is this normal for a condenser boiler in the attic - or should I get it looked at (it had a BG inspection prior to house purchase only a few weeks ago, which it passed) ?

I kind of like complete silence at night !

swayzak

Reply to
davethepathologist

Is it possible that the pump could be running all the time? This could occur if it was wired wrongly or, maybe, if the boiler controls the pump and there is a fault in the boiler's pump control logic.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Is there any chance that your plumbing is linked to a neighbours. perhaps they are using water at night and the sound is travelling via the pipes.

Reply to
Stewart

Certainly unusual - can you not get up there in the evening when it's making this noise and work out exactly where the noise is coming from?

Things to try out - switch the boiler off completely and see if that stops it; then try turning off the water main overnight.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The pump could be wired up wrong and on 24/7, or the frost stat is switching in the boiler. When in a loft frost protection must be fitted. Some boilers have integral frost protection. Some put external frost stats in, other put external stats in to supplement the boiler's frost protection. Check the setting of the stat, if one fitted, and see it is set too high.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com writes

The users guide says that the pump operates for a few minutes every

24hours even if heat is not being called for, perhaps this is what you are hearing. There must be a switch somewhere to isolate the system for maintainance, try turning that off and see what happens.
Reply to
Neil J. Harris