Conservatory base

Hi,

I am looking to build the base to my newly delivered conservatory in the next few weeks. The conservatory is one of the wooden Baltic Pine ones, and is a full height version, so that I do not have to build a dwarf wall. I need to build the base up a bit, as the ground level is about 14 inches below the floor level of the dining room that the conservatory is going to join to.

I was thinking about building a base perimeter out of medium / high density concrete blocks, for the conservatory to stand on, and then an inner course of blocks on which to hand some 6 x 2 joists. I was then going to lay some foam insulation sheets between the joists, chipboard on top of the joists,and then maybe some laminite flooring to finish it off (it has to be easy clean for my twin boys !)

Has anyone tried this before, and am I going about this in the right way ? I have looked into the steel base structures, but they seem quite expensive £800 + VAT.

Thanks in advance,

Paul...

Reply to
Wordy

I used the steel system. It was excellent and I would strongly recommend it.

I see no problems with the method you propose, provided it is laid on a reasonably deep and wide trench foundation.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

With this proposal, damp is likely to get into the ends of the joists and cause them to rot quite quickly. And what about the fact that the blocks will be seen, what of frost action? What about air flow underneath the floor?

Check out some basic timber ground floor drawings for some guidance. Use Google

You need an external wall, with engineering bricks down to 225mm below ground level. The joist supporting wall needs to be separate from the external wall, and joists need some DPC protection. and be preservative treated

The area below the floor should ideally have a concrete oversite slab to prevent vegitation growth, and be ventilated.

dg

Reply to
dg