Kitchen Wall Finish.

Hi All. About to start refurbishing my kitchen. Taken all the tiles off the walls. This has left quite a good smooth finish of plaster, except for a few places where the plaster has come away with the tile adhesive and left a uneven flaky texture. This is not the query, what is, I would like to finish the walls with a paint finish, looking like the Mediterranean style (basically sand coloured textured). What would i need to use to seal the flaky parts of the walls and what sort of paint could i use to get a even sand finish yet still keep the uneven (patches). Thanks for the help.

Bodysnatcher