Disposing of a mattress

Using your *angle grinder* to remove the teeth from a hand saw creates an excellent tool for cutting rolled stone wool insulation into appropriate widths.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

05/11/2023 is coming..
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Some years back, SWMBO put a large box of plastic plant pots out with a "Free - Help yourself" notice on it.

A schoolkid (there's a Comprehensive further along our road) grabbed the box and took the whole thing away. SWMBO was quite pleased. An hour later, a car drew up and a woman got out, she put the box back where it started from, and drove away.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Market opportunity for skips with lockable lids?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

IIRC, she used most of the stuffing since she was doing a lot of re-upholstery at the time - that was probably why she thought the springs might find a second use.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Many years ago, we just folded the mattress and sat on it while we tied it up and then tied it on the roof (no roof-rack) on my mother's Fiat 126.

Reply to
SteveW

Here in Trafford, we can make 52 visits a year with a car (as we have more than one car, we could do a lot more, but I haven't actually visited for months).

Single axle trailers need no permit and are just part of the 52 visits.

Twin axle trailers and vans (non-commercial waste) are allowed 13 (IIRC) visits per year and do require pre-registration.

What has become more of a problem is plasterboard or asbestos roof sheets. They used to be accepted at most of the tips, but now there is only a single one. It is still free to access for the public, despite being a commercial waste site, however, it is only open 9 to 5, Monday to Friday (when most people can't go); is appointment only; and users must wear safety boots, hard-hat and hi-viz vest.

Reply to
SteveW

The trouble with that is that on so many occasions, I have thrown stuff out because it has sat around for 10 or 20 years and then while doing something a week or two later, suddenly thought "That xxxx will do the job. Damn, I just through it out!"

Reply to
SteveW

Ah...

she lives in London

...There's your problem right there, lady... (is being in London actually classed as 'living'?)

So put yours in first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Plasterboad is ok if you hire a skip although there is a surcharge. Small amounts you just cut it up and put it in the normal bin over a period of weeks. Asbestos? well there are places that take it, but frankly just bury it on a dark night somewhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's one of Henson's Laws.

Henson’s Law of Usefulness

The usefulness of a given object varies directly as the square of the distance between the point at which the object was discarded and the refuse collection vehicle. It also varies directly as the length of time for which it was previously stored.

Reply to
Bob Henson

They make you buy 50m boxes, the remainder of which can sometimes be had on ebay for less.

Foam is fine if you don't need it to be removable, and if you have a good technique so the whole depth of the gap is covered.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Somebody had installed a manky duvet in my loft as insulation...

Reply to
Theo

Around 30 years ago I had an elderly neighbour and when his house was sold the new owners found the loft to be packed high with the white expanding foam used for packing around equipment. It had all been cut/ripped up into 1 foot square chunks and just randomly thrown over most of the loft floor. Not only did they have two large skips but also endless trips to the local tip with bagged foam filling their car.

The skips were also used to dispose of some heavy garden rubbish. Much like my property I purchased 10 years previous to this, the estate agent described the property and having many period features and was in need of some modernisation. This was code for hadn't been maintained for 30 years and required gutting.

Reply to
alan_m

Midnight (12ish hours ago) someone set off some very large noisy fireworks near where I live. The run up to 5th Nov has already started :)

Reply to
alan_m

They exist

Reply to
GB

It could have been a left-over from last year.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

But no FFP3 mask to keep out the asbestos fibres blowing about as you unload it.

Burgess Hill (West Sussex) is the only place where asbestos

- cement products can be taken in Sussex, but they MUST be double wrapped in heavy gauge polythene.

Reply to
Andrew

Utterly unacceptable. Plasterboard gypsum reacts with other leachates and then can emit toxic gases.

Reply to
Andrew

We've got very efficient Pikeys where I live. Leave it out at night and it's gone by the morning. (Not mattresses though)

Reply to
Roger Mills