Mattress life expectancy

New foam ones don't hold up. Foam compresses permanently.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Is there any sort of life expectancy for mattresses? Yea, I know that it depends on manufacture quality, user care or abuse, weight of user, bed frame, and more. But is there any sort of expected life span for the average mattress?

I'm asking because I am presently replacing one that is about 35 years old. It should have been replaced a year ago, because the fabric coating was worn thru and the foam beneath it was shedding. But now a spring is coming thru, so it's time to replace it without delay.

Anyhow, I think 35 years is a good life for a mattress. I doubt a new one will last that long though.... Like everything these days, things are made cheap and dont last long.

Reply to
Jerome Tews

On Sat 04 Nov 2017 01:13:26a, Jerome Tews told us...

Consider that there are numerous types of mattresses and they all have pros and cons. Thre memory foam, latex, air, memory foam hybrid, latex hybrid, water, futons, and last of all, innerspring.

One's personal preference is your best guide to the type of mattress. In most cases, within a type, it's probably best to buy one at or near he top of their line. Each type feels different and that's a major factor in making your choice.

Personally, I prefer having a top of the line innerspring mattress with a matching innerspring foundation. For me it's the most comfortable (having tried several different types), and I expect that the lifespan will be about ten years.

Since your present mattress is "ancient", it would be a good idea to shop around and try different types (that didn't even exist when you bought your current mattress) before making any decision. Most people will swear that their mattress is the best one for them.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Most should be replaced by 20 years or so.

What to buy is personal preference, but don't cheap out if you want comfort. We bought memory foam and a bed frame the can be adjusted. If you read in bed or watch TV, it can be as comfortable as sitting in a good recliner.

Ed Pawlowski

Jerome Tews posted for all of us...

If you get 5 years out of the new crop I would be surprised. I was heavy so a top of the line would last 2 years max.

Now one of the rules is you can't sit on the side! How does one get in & out of bed? A trapeze?

They are like everything else-a commodity item. You are forced to buy the top tier because they are marginal but the lesser tiers are junk. the warranties are useless. I think I have gone through all major brands.

If someone on here could recommend a truly good one I would be forever grateful.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Mine is 27 years old. Looks new, but one edge is sagging. Where I sit to get dressed. It cost about $350 for the mattress/box spring. Full size (aka "double".) Probably not as firm as when new, but still uniformly comfortable. Bought it a no-frills mattress store on Milwaukee Ave in Chicago. It's a brand I never heard of. You should be able to get a similar one today for about the same price.

Reply to
Vic Smith

  A guy I used to work for had a wife that worked in hotel/motel supply . We got a top of the line brand name hotel quality mattress/BS for a great price , about 7 years ago now  . Has labels to remind us to flip it over every 3 months , and we do . I expect it will outlast me .   --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Terry Coombs posted for all of us...

rote:

t to get dressed.

The new ones are to spun 180 deg end to end; no flipping.

The box springs have no springs but are essentially a metal base.

Reply to
Tekkie®