Ideas for kitchen splashback ... ?

The kitchen renovation continues (slowly!) and now I need to decide on the splashback behind the cooker, which is set in an alcove (an old fireplace) about 1900 wide. I'd prefer to avoid tiles and SWMBO doesn't want S/S. In other parts of the kitchen we have Neatmatch "wainscotting" so I'm tempted to use that, with toughened glass sealed over the top. Other ideas have been some sort of laminate, IKEA bespoke panels, painted or printed glass, a porcelain (or similar) panel. I'd welcome thoughts and suggestions ...

Reply to
nothanks

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com writes

We have a sheet of coloured glass behind our hob. 1m x 0.5m Might have come from B+Q. Fix with clear glazing resin.

Watch the maximum allowed height for the extractor.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Try a local glazier if you want to investigate glass. When I visited one local to me a few years ago they had a display of painted glass aimed at the splashback market. Suspect that they only did RAL colours though, but lead times wouldn't be long, and prices reasonable in the great scheme of things.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

that is what we have, coloured glass.

Reply to
RobH

I hadn't heard of glazing resin - a quick search suggests its more for protecting artwork. Do I need to search deeper or did you use the wrong name? My plan would be to make an Ash frame to retain the glass and to hide the silicone sealant that would be stopping moisture from getting-in behind it.

I made my own extractor so that's not an issue ;-)

Reply to
nothanks

I'm too idle to walk down to the workshop. Search on clear glazing sealant there's half a zillion products. The glass colouring hides the sealant and you don't have to worry about the effect of some trendy cooker cleaner on an Ash frame.

Think there was a max height above the cooker top for our Siemens. Sadly that is just about my forehead height:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Every so often I'm reminded of the good old Tomorrows world. I recall that they demonstrated some kind of material for this very use that simply wiped over with a damp cloth and almost cleaned itself. I wonder what happened to that? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My RAL swatch has 213 colours and isn't even a particularly large one.

but lead times wouldn't be long, and prices reasonable in the

Reply to
Colin Bignell

What have you got on the kitchen floor as that might coordinate nicely?

Or if you want metal but not stainless steel, you can get high temperature spray paints up to 160C

Higher temp paints in a more limited range of colours (basically car engine black...)

I've just got a sheet of laminate faced chipboard but I don't usually set fire to things.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname