Mattress/bed

I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed. Unfortunately, it seems to be intended for a mattress of 115 cm width - the exact width available for the mattress is 115.5 cm - I presume that such a thing used to be made.

Needless to say it seems to be impossible to find sprung mattresses in that width (I have found a company that makes custom-sized foam mattresses).

How exactly do mattresses need to fit? Would a 110 cm mattress be visibly too narrow (I think it would)?

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

In old money, that's a inch either side and a gap of 2.5% of the width. An underblanket would swallow some of that space.

Are you going to lie there loosing sleep on it? :-p

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Heaven forfend, you hold tight on that sleep and put it on a lead y'hear?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Might get away with it if one side is placed next to a wall. You could make a suitable "filler" with foam, or a fibre filled custom bolster.

Reply to
newshound

Given that it's going to be an ongoing headache for you and subsequent owners, is there any possibility of narrowing the bedframe/headboard without ruining it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A quick google suggests quite a few places will make a custom size spring mattress

eg

Custom width is the next size up + 10% for reduction, custom length +20%.

"Sprung mattresses are usually increased or decreased in size by removing rows of springs from a mattress. Due to this custom sized beds with springs are usually increased or decreased by the dimension of a springs width. On average this is 75cm (3?)."

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

lol :)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

If by "Dutch bed" you mean a bed in a cupboard then I'd agree that a smaller mattress would be fine with the at the back filled by something

- foam, box to provide a shelf/storage, etc.

Reply to
Robin

Ah no - it's a mid-century tubular steel frame.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Yes I'd not notice, but it really depends on the sort of mattress, some bulge a bit as they age.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And remember don't call it a mattress in the shop the assistant might put a bucket on his head. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Steel can be cut and welded. ;-) A picture would be helpful.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Indeed. We need to know that the bed is authentically "Dutch" in order to avoid recommending culturally inappropriate mattresses ;)

Reply to
Robin

"D.M. Procida" snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk> wrote in message news:1o6i2s4.18cgjiw1gaplymN% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

ieeka makes funny size mattresses.....

Reply to
Only ever had ONE class A Call

Shouldn't that be mattri?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Derived from the local Squornshellous word "Martessel" which means "I saw a giant rectangle, and it lurgled at me."

Adrian Caspersz

Try Ikea. There matteresses, or at least some of them, have a drop down size selection option which covers UK double, king, and 'European' sizes. We used it to by one for over cab bed in our previous motorhome.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Not if it's fast one.

Reply to