stop bed from rocking

my bed has a poor design, had i realized it then i wouldn't have bought it. so, it sways, but not a little, i could get seasick just from my dog jumping on it. the swaying is lengthwise. the design is simple but poor. the head and foot boards have perpendicular pieces of metal with a U in them. the angle iron side bars each have a button on them. the button goes into the U and voila, a swaying bed!

Right now I have 2 of the legs held together in a truck tie-down. is there anything better to do this with (needs mechanical tightener or another method? i already tried shims but that more for side to side motion.

thank you!

Reply to
Me

Those little brackets are incapable of counteracting the force made by the much longer lever arms of the legs It is really impossible to tell you "over the phone" how to fix it, sight unseen.

Take some pictures of the bed overall, the headboard (from the end against the wall if possible) and a closeup of one of the brackets. Post them on one of the free web hosting sites, and post the links to the pictures back here. Then we'll see what's what.

RicodJour

Maybe make an "X" with some cable and turnbuckle? Or, fasten a 2x2 diagonal made from wood.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi, Sorry to say this but case of a combination of a person with BMI problem and El Cheapo bed?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Why would you ever say that? Talk about making an ASSumption. The OP said the dog jumping on the bed caused it to move a lot. How come you're not assuming the dog is a St. Bernard? Sheesh.

RicodJour

You ass, I'm right in the middle of my proper weight range, an active climber and hiker, and i made under $20k a year. i couldn't afford a new bed. don't judge without knowing!

Reply to
Me

Dtop having such rough sex and the problem will go away. Not only is your bed rocking, but you're going to wear the tip off your dick, and that's very painful and will make you sterile.

Reply to
website

Nonsense! A dick is like beaver teeth: you've got to keep it worn down or it'll kill you.

Reply to
HeyBub

"Me" wrote

Grin, sometimes the guys here can get little off the track! Anyways, back to your actual question and taking limited funds into account (I remember those days, just after moving out from home and such).

Here's the simple one I used. (I weigh 124 now but then was 95lbs and my cheap bed did that too, especially when the room-mates Rottie whould jump up to wake me in the morning! He weighed more than I did!).

Cinderblocks. (dont freak yet!). I got rid of the 'frame' but kept the headboard and held it in place just by having the bed hold it to the wall. I put some old carpet tacked to the back so it wouldnt mess up the wall and cost me time or money when moving out.

Now, I didnt want to look 'trashy' with bare cinderblocks so I painted them wiith a semi-gloss oil based 'evergreen' paint. I used some acrylic paints to make wild flowers growing up them randomly. (matched my only good sheets).

Later, still a starving college student working my way through, I came across a really pretty but thin bed comforter for free. It had some rips but working around those, I used this to wrap them up nice (safety pins at the back didnt show). Now they looked like an upholstered bed frame.

To this day, I still have some odd 'shelves' in my screened porch where boards are held up by pretty patterened cloth wrapped cinderblocks ;-) And when I get tired of a pattern and want to 'redecorate' I just swap the cloth.

My cat's favorite perch is a 6ft long 18 inch wide section of plywood with a thin plastic covered pad, and wrapped in a matching cloth to the cinderblock 'legs'. Strange perhaps but Daisy-cat likes it!

Reply to
cshenk

Needs some kind of triangular brace. Don't know enough to be able to reccomend something.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Me wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f10g2000vbf.googlegroups.com:

No wonder it sways. What do you dream about?? :-)

Reply to
Red Green