Mold/Mildew on air bed/mattress

I sleep on one of those "air beds" -- the ones that are the same sizes as regular mattresses but of a higher quality than a common air mattress. The one I have has a "velour top." I also have an egg-carton type foam pad on top of the mattress. I cover both with a typical mattress pad, then a sheet. I also sleep with two pillows.

Today I decided to wash the sheets and the mattress pad. When I took the mattress pad off the foam pad lifted off too.

To my surprise and disgust, there was mold/mildew (which is which?) on the air bed/mattress where my head goes!

My questions:

How the heck does this happen, and why only under my pillows/head?

What's the best way to clean it? (I don't want to have to inhale bleach fumes when I'm trying to sleep.)

Is there some way to prevent this from happening in the future? (Aside from airing the bed out every day.)

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Egg-carton foam pads are made with molds.

Borax and vinegar or ammonia in water may wash mold away, and the borax residue inhibits regrowth. Studies of miners show that borax is pretty harmless to humans.

Don't use pillows.

Reply to
Choreboy