Heavy blankets on top or on bottom in bed to keep warm?

I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.

Who is right for the most warmth?

Heavy blankets on top? Heavy blankets on bottom?

Reply to
E. Robinson

I have an electric mattress pad. An electric blanket on top. A thermal blanket over that. Another blanket over that. A quilt over that.

Works great. I rarely get cold. Sometimes I have to turn off the electric parts in summer.

Reply to
mike

Comfort is determined by how well you trap air (and, to some degree, moisture -- your body's evaporative cooling).

Assuming you don't have "supplemental heating" (electric blanket/mattress pad, "another warm body", etc.), you stay warm by keeping the heat that your body generates from slipping away from you/it.

Most radiates "out the top" surface. So, anything that prevents that air from continuing up towards the ceiling is keeping you warm.

But, what you sleep *on* can also pull heat away from your body or act to trap it, depending on the material. An unheated water bed will leave you feeling cold regardless of the number of blankets on top of you -- it's thermal mass sucks the heat out of your body too effectively. OTOH, some mattress materials trap a lot of heat and leave you sweating even with nothing covering your body (depending on humidity levels, this can leave you very cold from evaporative losses -- or, just "sticky").

[I think many of the early "memory foam" beds had this problem; the mattress didn't "breathe" enough so the sleeping surface just keeps getting warmer and warmer -- even if the other side of your body is cold!]

I like a cool bed so tend to want something that wicks my body heat away from me (but not too aggressively). E.g., I will often fall asleep on the carpeted floor slab fully clothed and be very comfortable -- despite the heat sinking ability of the cement beneath me.

Why not just try *objectively* evaluating different configurations? Of course, if one or both of you can't be objective in that evaluation, then the "scientifically correct" answer will be just as readily rejected -- due to "inconvenience"!

Reply to
Don Y

I don't think it matters, so you should decide based on other factors. Maybe you could do me a favor. Figure out why you feel warmer the moment you put an additional blanket on, even though there has been not enough time for any heat to build up. When you know the answer to that, let me know, and it might help you answer your quesiton too.

Reply to
Micky

Two best things for our bed. Sheep skin mattress cover from New Zealand, Quilted heavy blanket made with pure silk fabric as a blanket from China.(very light weight and feel soft/warm) Both collected during our traveling days.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If a man speaks in the woods and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Reply to
Bud Doobie

Flannel bed set will eliminate the need for all the heavy stuff. Flannel will eliminate that first cold sensation when you enter the bed, thus, no concerns about a blanket on the bottom. If you need a bit more warmth, add a comforter on top.

Reply to
Meanie

You and your girlfriend need to sleep in separate apartment, so you are less likely to fornicate and enter into condemnation in the sight of God.

The two of you set up your own beds the way you each want, and there is no need for discussion.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A regular mattress is a natural insulator - no need for blankets between it and your body. Plenty of internal openings between the layers of padding and the springs. sheet/blankets/comforter on top it is!

I on the other hand am so sensitive to drafts/temp differential, if one foot is uncovered in bed, even in JULY, I am positively shivering. So when changing the sheets I make sure that end is super tucked in, even if there's 6 inches less covers up at my head.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Separate apartments is a little extreme (though not to be completely ignored if she's a PITA), but the idea of two twin beds next to each other could be a possibility. That is of course, you both need that togetherness when sleeping. Each could have their own set of sheets yet still maintain a one bed sense. It will also help apply a center line when the fight ensues about who's on whose side.

Reply to
Meanie

Stormin Mormon wrote: "apartment, so you are less likely to fornicate and enter into condemnation in the sight of God.

The two of you set up your own beds the way you each want, and there is no need for discussion. "

I'm a born-Again, yet the last thing I do is tell others how to live their lives, as long as they are not harming others, or have the potential to.

"Learn more about Jesus - then PRAY that others will come to know Him just as intimately"

Reply to
thekmanrocks

The added weight triggers an anticipatory "now I'm warm" response?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 05:25:15 -0000 (UTC), "E. Robinson" wrote in

That's correct.

Reply to
CRNG

Have you noticed it too?

Reply to
Micky

I agree. OTOH, I'm inclined to think Chris was being a bit tongue in cheek because everyone expects him to respond like a "mormon" might respond, so he obliges them with a bit of twinkle in his eyes while doing it.

Reply to
Muggles

After a couple of washings we did not care for the flannel so much. Maybe it was not the best set. We bought a set of Jersey sheets and like them better. So much that we bought two more sets of them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

After my wife had surgery I bought her a power adjustable bed. We liked it so much we ditched the king size, bought another and now have them side by side. No fighting for the covers in the middle of the night and reading or TV is more comfortable.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A testimonial. It can save many marriages.

Reply to
Meanie

The only REAL answer there is twin beds.

Reply to
clare

Did he actually say anything?If there is a woman around if he even THINKS something he's wrong.

Reply to
clare