Dishwasher not cleaning dishes on bottom shelf

When I put bowls, coffee mugs, glass jars, loaf pans, etc. on the bottom shelf of my dishwasher, facing down, they do not come completely clean. I ran a square freezer container through on the heavy wash cycle with the "tough scrub plus" option turned on. A large area on the bottom and one side did not come clean. The food was very soft tomato sauce. When I touched it lightly with my thumb, some of it transferred to my thumb. It was softer than warm pudding.

I took some pictures of the dirty container. I could upload them to a photo sharing web site if someone wants me to and he/she tells me what site to use.

I have checked and the bottom spray arm spins easily. None of the little holes in the spray arm seem to be blocked. I do not think the dishwasher has mineral buildup because we have a water softner. I have had the same problem when I used both Cascade and Finish brand detergent tablets.

The dishwasher is a Maytag model MDB6701AWWW3. It has three spray arms, one on the bottom spraying up, one in the middle spraying up and one on the top spraying down.

Does anyone know why my dishwasher is not getting my dishes clean? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

It sounds like you may have plugged jets or the sprayer arm isn't rotating.

Tablets? You can try the gel or some TSP.

Not sure how to tell if the sprayer arms are turning... Maybe you could put some small cups, mouth up, under a big spaghetti bowl, mouth down. See how much water gets into each cup? I still suspect the bottom sprayer arm.

Reply to
krw

Use powdered dishwasher detergent augment by 10% (by weight or volume) of TSP.

TSP (trisodium phosphate) is available in the paint section of your big box hardware store.

Warning: "TSP" is both the name of a chemical substance and a brand name. Get the red box. DO NOT get the green box that has the big letters TSP on the front. The green box does not contain TSP.

Reply to
HeyBub

rote:

open door with machine running, look for spray arm turning

Reply to
bob haller

Reply to
recyclebinned

Take a closer look at the bottom spray arm. Not too long ago I noticed that some paper labels off cans had made their way into the arm. Took a bit of work to get all the paper out of the arm.

Also the suggestion about opening the door during a washing a cycle is a good one. The arm should be turning and spraying.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Sorry the pump shuts off as soon as the door opens. Perhaps find the safet y swith and hold it shut.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Not in the three I have had over ...um...years. The water shuts off as sthe door opens.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The bottom spray arm only spins when the bottom rack is out. If I put the empty rack in, the spray arm stays in the same position. (I opened the door several times and the spray arm was always in the same position.)

I put in an old rack from the previous dishwasher (a similar Maytag) and had the same problem. (The middle spray arm will continue to spin for several seconds after I open the door.)

The spray arm must be rubbing on the bottom of the rack. The ends of the spray arms will move up and down quite a bit when I push on them lightly. I think it must be either the spray arm or what it rides on.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

As soon as the latch is clicked it shuts off. The latch mechanism is buried in the door.

Reply to
krw

You have to be quick. I've done it many times when I had suspected the lower arm. When you open the door, the pump stops but momentum keeps the spray arm going at least a half turn so you can see that it was moving.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There is no safety switch for the spray arm.

The arm will continue to turn after the door is opened due to a process I've labeled "inertia."

Reply to
HeyBub

The water may shut off, but the spray arm keeps spinning. For a revolution or two. Then it stops via a mechanism that I have labeled "friction."

Someday, both "friction" and "inertia" will be taught in the schools. If only I could license these two terms...

Reply to
HeyBub

-snip-

I just replaced the lower wash arm support on my 10 yr old washer. the lower arm spun fine and I could see that it had moved when I opened the door-- but when I was removing things to do my semi-annual strainer screen cleaning, I noticed some wear on the little plastic support. The piece acted as a bearing and a diverter to send the water out through the wash arm. The worn piece opened up another path for the water, so only a small bit of water was going through the wash arm.

I don't see that piece listed here for yours--

Maybe it is part of another piece on that machine?

I wouldn't suspect detergent problems if it is only the lower shelf stuff that isn't getting clean.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

So slide the rack in and try to turn the arms by hand. You might see what it's binding on.

Reply to
Dan Espen

i have found the water outlets of the arms cogged with debris.....

all the machines i ever had power the arms revolution by the water spraying out....

so clogged arm hole poor or no movement

Reply to
bob haller

Frictertia®

Reply to
willshak

I cannot see any debris in any of the spray holes. If I open the door quickly, I see water spraying out of the holes.

If I turn the spray arm by hand, it binds on the bottom of the rack almost all the way around. I do not think it is a fault with the rack because I cannot see any bending of the rack or anything sticking down. The wheels on the rack seem to be in the correct location and not worn down. Also, the problem happens with TWO different racks.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Remove rack, life arm out and examine how it fits onto it's mount. Possibly it's not going all the way down.

Reply to
Dan Espen