In the past 2-3 cycles, my dishwasher has done an underwhelming job of
cleaning things, and I'd appreciate some tips on trying to improve it,
1. It's a simple Maytag model from around 1991.
2. It's generally always worked fine.
3. All of a sudden, both halves of the dispenser cup have had a hard
rock of undissolved detergent (Cascade powder, same stuff we've always
used, and it's not a brand new box either) caked into them at the end
of a cycle. The undissolved stuff occupies maybe a third of the cup,
and yes, I dig it out before running more dishes through.
4. I found that maybe four of the holes on the dishwasher's arm (out
of around 20 holes total) were clogged. I pulled a three-inch-long
strip of cellophane from one hole, semi-unplugged a second hole using
a fork tine, and will go after the other ones with tweezers unless
someone can offer a better tip.
5. I am running the dishwashwer right now with an empty load, and
nothing in it but a lot of vinegar.
Any other tips or suggestions?